News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Pivot Table Fields Menu Placement

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

When I construct a Pivot Table (PT), there is a PT Field List box that assists me in placing the fields in the various parts of the PT.  Once the PT is constructed and I wish to experiment with moving the fields within the PT, then the PT Field List box to do this is present when I have my cursor within the PT itself, but when I move the cursor outside of the PT, the PT Field box disappears.  I want to know if there is anyway to fix the PT Field box so that it stays put (so to speak) within the spreadsheet where the PT is, unless I physically move it and does not disappear when I move my cursor outside of the PT.

Ron

Ron M
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry folks, the initial posting in this thread was by me, but I forgot to log in.

Ron M

IT Manager Geek
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Ron, based on what I’ve experience, the quick response is no / once you move the active cell outside of the PT area, the field list no longer shows.  This, much like other Microsoft dynamic menu system (guessing there’s a quaint name) whenever you’re no longer in a Word Table – Table menu or selecting a graphic – Graphic edit menu as examples, they all dissapear once you’re no longer actively in the specific operation.

Saying that, it’ll be interesting to hear from others.  You never know that you’ve made an assumption, only to find out that there is another way (another way, without going through several hoops, that is).

Take care,

IT Manager Geek

Ron M
        AskWoody Plus

IT Manager Geek, those “Dynamic Menu Systems” and other similar features are referred to, in my circles, as “Undocumented Features” (Ha, ha).

I inadvertently discovered that if you move the “Field List Box” to the end of your display window, which is the end of the visible PT display, then it will stay there in a “locked” position.  That is okay for folks working on a 15 or 18 inch monitor, but I have a couple of 32 inch monitors, side by side, so that if the PT I am working on is on the left side of the left-most monitor, then the “Field List Box” (FLB) seems like it is, figuratively speaking, half way across the room.  If I move the FLB into the body of the spreadsheet display, then it only appears when my mouse cursor is in the PT area itself.  There does not seem to be any ability to “park” the FLB anywhere on the spreadsheet display and then move it as required.  It only stays “parked” if I move it to the extreme left side of the display window.  I want to be able to “park” it anywhere on the visible display window that contains the PT.

Ron

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Pivot Table Fields Menu Placement

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.