News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• PNY Flash Drive Problem

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve been trying to view the files on a PNY flash drive. I’ve tried with three different Win 10 computers. It doesn’t show up in windows explorer. I can see it in device mgr. It was listed as some Innostor Flash Drive. I tried uninstalling the device and was able to access it once afterward but didn’t have an external source to copy the files to at hand. Haven’t been able to repeat that again.

Here is what I see when I access its properties. Any suggestions?

Attachments:
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

It’s likely the flash drive is corrupt.

Do you have another flash drive available?

Do you have the flash drive contents available on another drive or device?

On Hiatus {with backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.804 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox86.0 WindowsDefender TRV=20H2 WuMgr
        WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

I agree that it is likely corrupt. I do have other drives that work. However, I would like to rescue these files. They wouldn’t be a critical loss.

WSjcgc50

I agree that it is likely corrupt. I do have other drives that work. However, I would like to rescue these files. They wouldn’t be a critical loss.

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and tried the software. It sees the drive but when I start the process it gives me an error message and suggests that I unplug the USB and plug it back and it still doesn’t work.

I’ve previously uninstalled the device on all three windows machines. That worked the first time and I wish I had tried to copy the data at that point. I can see the device in disk management but it simply says there’s no media. I’ve tried changing the drive letter as well.

It may be time to pitch this drive and move on.

WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

Try rescuing the data with the free Portable Recuva app.
        Use ‘deep scan’

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.

I downloaded the Windows version of the app and the problem is that none of these programs can see the drive because it doesn’t show in windows explorer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

You could try Photorec, it is free , but it may also not see the drive.  https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

@WSjcgc50

looks like your PNY flash drive is pretty much dead & is non-recoverable
        get a new flash drive from a different manufacturer like either SanDisk or Kingston

I had that happen to be once with an old PNY 16gb usb drive a few years ago where none of my PCs can no longer recognize it after using that flash drive for several years

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Every now and then it’s possible to read one of these in Linux. Other times that doesn’t work either.

… and then there’s that one failure mode where you can make Linux keep retrying in raw mode and get something at a rate of about 2 to 8 Mbytes per day, which is just no fun at all… and then it turns out that you got zeroes from that particular block that should’ve held the actually useful data. BTDT, was an ancient 128 MB drive.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

ah yes, that has happened to me in the past with a toshiba 16Gb flashdrive. Windows refused to see it, tried it in GNU linux and wow, things were there long enough to get the data copied (unfortunately not all) as the flash device had some sort of corruption.
          I didn’t try anything else, took the dataloss hit and just disposed of the flashdrive at the local recycling centre along with other electronic waste.

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

For what it’s worth, this method has been recommended with failing hard drives, but I don’t know if it will work with flash drives. Place the flash drive in the refrigerator a few hours, then try to read from it. I never tried placing any hardware in the refrigerator.

On Hiatus {with backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.804 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox86.0 WindowsDefender TRV=20H2 WuMgr
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: PNY Flash Drive Problem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.