• Police warning of controversial new iPhone feature

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » Police warning of controversial new iPhone feature

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

Never Say Never

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

NameDrop and it’s on by default

iOS 17’s NameDrop feature for iPhone: How it works and why it’s not a privacy threat

.. tapping two iPhones together, without doing anything else, doesn’t share your contact information via NameDrop. You first have to confirm on your iPhone’s display that you want to share your information.

You also have to confirm that you wish to receive contact information from the other person. The fearmongering in the viral Facebook posts and local news coverage would lead you to believe otherwise. Your iPhone must also be unlocked with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode in order to use NameDrop…

* Do you really believe that Apple would have added an insecure privacy feature ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

* Do you really believe that Apple would have added an insecure privacy feature ?

Have no idea. Not like any company ever goofed. Don’t have an iphone so I couldn’t verify. Thing that bothered me was a young kid leaving an unlocked phone on a table somewhere and someone getting the info.

Never Say Never

If the phone is left unlocked, unfounded worries about that new feature become even more moot. All contacts would be available via more traditional means.

Have no idea. Not like any company ever goofed. Don’t have an iphone so I couldn’t verify. Thing that bothered me was a young kid leaving an unlocked phone on a table somewhere and someone getting the info.

I have verified.

Overblown headlines.
      1. NameDrop requires two phones to be almost physically touching tops to work.
      2. Both devices have to be unlocked.
      3. It’s only CONTACT data that you have to expressly approve.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

2 users thanked author for this post.

If the phone is left unlocked

..All data would be available not just contacts.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Police warning of controversial new iPhone feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: