News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• POP from Hotmail

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by anonymous.
    Author
    Topic

Weird behaviour has just started.

I have all the recommended settings to receive Hotmail into Oulook 2010 and it has been working fine for years.
    Sometime in the last few days – not sure when – I started getting an error when doing a send/receive but the Hotmails still arrive:

. . . error 0x800CCC1A: ‘Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method.

There have been no significant updates (just Windows Defender) or system changes.

I suppose that I could just ignore it because I am receiving the Hotmails into Outlook but it bothers me. I’ve tried changing the encryption (the only choices for POP are SSL or nothing) – with SSL it functions as above, without SSL it doesn’t work at  all.

Any ideas ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

You may have heard that Office 2010 will not be supported (in a business environment) connecting to a Microsoft 365 or Exchange server.  This will take effect November 1.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/microsoft-365-services-connectivity

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/new-minimum-outlook-for-windows-version-requirements-for/ba-p/2684142

I do not believe there is an intent to change how and who can access Hotmail , but there could be bumps in the road while those other services are changing.

You may have heard that Office 2010 will not be supported (in a business environment) connecting to a Microsoft 365 or Exchange server.  This will take effect November 1.

Not just business, as Outlook.com (inc. Hotmail/Live/MSN) is apparently affected:

Starting on November 1, 2021, only Office 2013 Service Pack 1, with up-to-date patches, and later Office releases will connect to Microsoft-hosted mailboxes

“Microsoft-hosted mailboxes” include any mail hosted under Microsoft 365 Business, Enterprise, Government, or Education plans, and also Outlook.com or its predecessors Hotmail, MSN, and Live. All these services use Microsoft’s Exchange Server to store and manage your mail.

Why some Outlooks will stop working with Microsoft services
        [AskWoody Free Newsletter 2021-09-27]

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Thanks for the information. Time to upgrade Outlook 2010, finally, I suppose.

I could not get to a Hotmail account I’ve used for years Today but it forwarded me to my Live.com account….?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: POP from Hotmail

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.