News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Pop3 setup for Gmail in Thunderbird

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Pop3 setup for Gmail in Thunderbird

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

It seems that Thunderbird wants to discourage Pop3 setups. I’m not accomplishing this manually.  Can someone provide the proper setup parameters to access Gmail on Thunderbird for POP3?

anonymous

It’s me again.  Just want to add that I need the set up for Mac which I think differs from Windows.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

This works on Windows, I don’t know what Server differences there would be for a Mac.
        GmailSrvr

1 user thanked author for this post.
          PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

Forgot to add the SMTP settings.
          SMTP-1

(Edited – first insert inadvertently put in a Juno. Sorry.)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Thank you so much PaulK for taking the time and effort to detail your settings.  I used them and hit the same road block as before.  At first I get a confirmation that the info is correct (that Thunderbird found the account) but when I progress it doesn’t work.  I have decided to leave the account as IMAC.

Thanks again for your response.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Have you set Gmail to authorize POP downloads?
        Near the top right corner, click on the gear: Settings
        Quick settings > See all settings
        Forwarding and POP/IMAP
        Shown below is that ‘POP is enabled’. The default is disabled.

Set1
        Set2

anonymous

Yes I set Gmail to authorize POP.  Interestingly enough even when POP is enabled in Gmail Thunderbird only works with IMAP, even though IMAP was not enabled in Gmail.  I don’t know if this is a Mac thing or Thunderbird does not like POP. 🙂

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

I use Thunderbird on Windows with two different email providers. One is IMAP and the other is POP3. It handles mail from both without any problems.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Create a NEW Thunderbird Profile (“Test”?) and define a new Account.
        Ensure that it is POP from the beginning.
        The existing account definition may be corrupted.

anonymous

I did create two different profiles — one for my husband’s gmail and one for mine.  I appreciate your help but at this point I’m completely stumped.    Actually, I do not like Thunderbird — on the Mac the font is extremely small and I do not find it as user friendly as GMail.  My reason for making Thunderbird accounts is that if my internet connection fails (which it has been doing lately when I wake the computer from sleep) I can still read the emails.  I prefer POP to IMAC because I think it is a simpler interface but since the Thunderbid account is only for emergency use I can live with it.

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

For a corrupted T Bird setup, an uninstall and reinstall is probably needed.  After uninstalling, look for remnants under your user name and anywhere else.  Like many programs it saves some info for reinstalls.  I have to do that occasionally on Windows when add ons don’t work after an update, a real pain.

T Bird was handed off from Mozilla to an independent developer a few years ago who really messed it up.  Mozilla took it back a year or so ago and has improved it dramatically in the meantime.  Still needs work but it’s stable.

I’m not familiar with MacOS but there has to be a setting somewhere that will scale the program differently, similar to dpi settings in windows.  For Windows, right click the T Bird executable, click properties, click compatibility, click high dpi settings.  There are also scaling settings in Settings.  Big Linux distros have these features, I’d guess MacOS too, somewhere.

When T Bird went haywire with the other developers I spent forever looking for a decent replacement and couldn’t find one, paid or free.  Email clients aren’t as popular as they once were.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Pop3 setup for Gmail in Thunderbird

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.