News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Prepare Win10 laptop for donation

Posted on gtd12345 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Prepare Win10 laptop for donation

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        gtd12345
        AskWoody Plus

I am getting ready to donate an old but working Win10 laptop to charity.  Is the Win10 Reset/Remove Everything sufficient to get rid of all my files on the computer, or do I have to be more aggressive?  I have used DBAN to wipe disks in the past, but its website now claims it does not work with SSD drives.  Anything else?

Thanks.  References to earlier posts/articles would be fine; I did search but clearly not with the right key words since I got a hundred irrelevant links.

• #2300260 Reply
        anonymous

Does this machine have a factory image partition?; You may be able wipe the partition where Windows 10 currently resides and restore the factory image.

If not you can be more aggressive, you will have wipe the SSD, some models can self cleanse it just needs a command. Do you know the Brand and Model of your SSD?

A list of software.

• #2300315 Reply
        anonymous

Windows 10 includes a data erasure option at Start, Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC, Get started, Remove everything, Data erasure On:

Note: Remove everything > Change settings gives you two options.

Data erasure On removes files and cleans the drive. If you’re planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you’ve removed.

Data erasure Off just removes files. It takes less time, but is less secure.

Recovery options in Windows 10

You can reset your computer while securely deleting your files, settings, and apps, and here’s how to complete the task on Windows 10.

HOW TO RESET YOUR PC REMOVING EVERYTHING ON WINDOWS 10

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Prepare Win10 laptop for donation

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.