News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Preparing a Mac and iPad Switcher Guide for Windows 7 Users

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Preparing a Mac and iPad Switcher Guide for Windows 7 Users

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Due to a flooring replacement, my Internet will be out for the next couple of weeks, so I likely won’t have a regular AskWoody column next Saturday (I will have limited access to the Internet on my 4G iPad, but I will mainly be using it for work activities).

Once my Internet is back online, I plan to resume my weekend column with some reviews of some Mac apps I have had the chance to evaluate for a little bit.

Additionally, I want to begin preparing a “switcher guide” for Windows 7 users who may be considering a Mac or iPad to replace their Windows 7 machine (I know advice on Chromebooks has been given, as well as some advice on Linux and Windows 10 will be given, plus advice on those who want to keep running with Windows 7 after the end of updates).

I’d like to contribute to the discussion with info from the Mac and iPad side, discussing what are popular Mac and iPad models, a basic overview of macOS and iPadOS and their major differences from Windows, plus a look at how to do some general activities on macOS or iPadOS and recommended apps for those activities.

My question is, are there any specific topics, activities, apps, features, etc., that I need to cover in my guide? Feel free to post any feedback here, and when I come back from my Internet vacation, I will review everything and incorporate in the guide, which I hope to have completed before the end of the year.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2016300 Reply
        Marty
        AskWoody Plus

The latest generation of Macs have eliminated the traditional USB ports in favor of USB-C. However, (a) there aren’t a lot of USB-C devices available, and (b) it’s not clear that legacy USB devices will play well with adapters/dongles. All of my Macs have traditional USB 3.x ports, and I use external hard drives for Time Machine backups. Will those drives work with adapters? How about thumb drives, mice, etc.?

• #2016334 Reply
          Nathan Parker
          AskWoody_MVP

Good comments, and I will incorporate that into my guide. I will answer your question now as well so you can get an answer sooner. Generally, I’ve had good luck with Apple’s adapters, and even third-party adapters (although I’ve occasionally had third-party adapters fail after a while). I haven’t specifically needed to go from USB-C to USB 3 (my iMac Pro has both so I have the flexibility of either), but I have used Lighting to USB and USB 3 on iPads, video adapters, etc.

Generally, everything (external drives, flash drives, etc.) works with adapters. The only issue I’ve run into is if a hard drive requires more power than can be delivered via the bus (which has happened with my iPad Pro, plus my old PowerBook G4 years ago with a USB hard drive). In that case, providing extra power to the drive worked.

Nathan Parker

• #2016340 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Maty: “The latest generation of Macs have eliminated the traditional USB ports in favor of USB-C.

That is so true, particularly in the case of laptops: no HDMI, no USB 3 or Ethernet ports. One is lucky to still get an audio socket for the earphones… However, there are small and quite sleek-looking connection hubs that can be used with Macs, that one can plug in any of its USB C ports and use them to connect the Mac, simultaneously, to several peripheral devices that require those missing ports. Sort of a combo dongle. See, for example:

https://www.theverge.com/this-is-my-next/2018/6/1/17413728/the-best-usb-c-hub-for-laptops-macbook-pro

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2016346 Reply
            Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

Those docking stations do seem to work well. I’ll mention those as well. Thanks for bringing them up.

I do wish Apple would release a MacBook Pro that still has USB A, Ethernet, and HDMI. They could still sell the thin and light models for those who don’t need them, but for the mobile pro that does, we could really use them.

Nathan Parker

• #2016355 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

A quick guide to general use noting the major differences. Coming from Windows will be daunting for some.

cheers, Paul

• #2016578 Reply
          Nathan Parker
          AskWoody_MVP

Great. Will do.

Nathan Parker

• #2016587 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

I did a series of Mac for Windows Users a couple of years ago in this Forum. You might run through them for starters. There are maybe 8-10 topics. Basic stuff with pics.

• #2016398 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I do wish Apple would release a MacBook Pro that still has USB A, Ethernet, and HDMI.

Will never happen, like Nvidia return to MacBook…
        The rumor says iPhone 2021 will have no ports. I think portless Macs will follow 🙂

• #2016580 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Will never happen, like Nvidia return to MacBook…

True. It’s a little sad for those of us mobile pros, but that’s the direction Apple is going.

Nathan Parker

• #2016643 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Alex5723: “I think portless Macs will follow 🙂

I really doubt that, because it will mean that all connections would be via radio waves, using something like Bluetooth (unless they went back to the past, to using infrared, mainly line-of-sight connections, not terribly practical compared to radio). If Apple went that way, they will be kicked out of their big government contracts in the USA and probably in other countries, as well as from the offices of the large companies that use altogether many of them, even if they might be playing second-fiddle in those markets to Big Sister Windows. Because that will make for a lot of intolerable mutual radio interference between their Macs and anything else around them that uses WiFi.

I am further inclined to doubt that Tim Cook and his fellow occupants of the C-Suit in Cupertino are completely insane (or more than just a bit more insane than average) and will do that to imperil Apple’s businesses and, along with them, their own magnificent wages, their equally splendid bonuses and their permanence in said C-Suit, with all the prestige and influence accruing therefrom.

But I cannot understand why they have got rid of useful ports and condemned their users to having to trundle along with fringes of dongles drooping like tassels from their laptops, or in their pouches, pockets or bags. My mid-2015 MacBook Pro still has HDMI, Ethernet, USB-3 as well as the USB-C, today so beloved at Apple, but is not noticeably different in thickness from the newer Macs (I know, I have one on loan from NASA for telecommuting) that have had all those useful ports eliminated. So being as super-thin as possible does not seem to be the true reason for this strange devolution of design.

• #2016701 Reply
            Nathan Parker
            AskWoody_MVP

Now with the iPhone 11 using UWB, I wonder if they bring it to the Mac if that would be what could usher in a “portless Mac”.

I also wish Apple didn’t eliminate those ports on all MacBook Pro models as well. Since Apple ships an iMac Pro desktop with a decent amount of ports (mine has them), plus they’ve brought back the modular Mac Pro with a good range of ports, then I wish Apple would ship one MacBook Pro model with the additional ports for the mobile pro who uses them. Sure, many consumers wouldn’t buy them, but then most consumers don’t buy a modular Mac Pro (or even an iMac Pro for that matter). They can still ship plenty of the thin and light with as few ports as possible MacBook models for the consumers who want a thin and light notebook form factor that runs macOS, while still keeping one model around that mobile pros who don’t want a bag full of dongles to deal with. Unfortunately, Apple just hasn’t done it, and I’m not holding my breath either that they’ll bring it back.

Nathan Parker

• #2016719 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

I am going to be hard put when my 2013 Haswell MacBook Pro quits. When I run the diving scoring for the local University, I use a USB -> DB9 RS232 dongle to attach to the Dactronics console and scoreboard, a Mini Display Port to VGA for the external monitor, a thunderbolt to RG45 for uploading live scoring, and a local USB printer. Even so, I run out of ports and have to use a Bluetooth mouse. Looks like an octopus! 🙂

• #2016745 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

A “portless Mac” makes no sense: it does not look, based on present evidence, likely this will make the Macs even more streamlined and “cool”, and going that way will risk Apple loosing its prestigious contracts with the governments and the big companies that use lots of Macs, usually in a mix with Windows and (in Europe, at least) Linux PCs. NASA certainly has been doing that for many years now. I fail to see how it could make good business sense for Apple to make the Mac laptops into oversized cellphone wannabees.

So I am open to clarifying suggestions about that.

• #2016621 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I did a series of Mac for Windows Users a couple of years ago in this Forum. You might run through them for starters.

Excellent. I will refer to them, plus I’ll link to them in my document so AskWoody members can read your articles for more details. I’ll also email you a final copy of it before I post it.

Nathan Parker

• #2016749 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Looks like an octopus!

It’ll only get worse if something happens to that machine.

Nathan Parker

• #2016750 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

A “portless Mac” makes no sense: I fail to see how it could make good business sense for Apple to make the Mac laptops into oversized cellphone wannabees.

It doesn’t make sense to me either (although Apple managed to ship a Mac with only one USB C port, which was crazy enough).

And speaking of oversized cellphone wannabees, Windows did a similar route with too much of a touch UI on Windows.

Why can’t Microsoft and Apple both get it through their heads that if I want a small, light, portless, touch-driven device, I’ll buy a phone or a small tablet, and that when I want a computer, I want something powerful plus flexible to use with enough ports to carry my workload? I understand Steve Jobs’ original metaphor between trucks and cars, but now both companies are taking it to the extreme by cutting down the trucks into car packaging. I want my “truck” to be my work truck for the heavy work (computer), and I want my “car” to be different to zip around the information superhighway on (my phone or small tablet).

Nathan Parker

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Preparing a Mac and iPad Switcher Guide for Windows 7 Users

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.