News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Preventing automatic GPU driver updates?

Posted on ArtistAnn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Preventing automatic GPU driver updates?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 5 months ago.

• Author

ArtistAnn
      AskWoody Lounger

Is there a way to prevent Win 10 Home 64-bit v. 1709 from auto installing updated drivers for my NVIDIA display adapter (GPU)? I uninstalled the GeForce Experience, so that’s not the culprit.

Under the last several video card driver updates, my monitors have had a problem not awakening from sleep mode. I’m tired of manually reinstalling the older driver that doesn’t have this problem.

By the way, when my system was updated to Win 10 v. 1803 last fall, I manually rolled it back to 1709. I expected Microsoft to immediately reinstall 1803, but it never has! I get cumulative, security, and other updates for 1709 and haven’t had any problems, except for the monitors and File Explorer freezing and causing the system to crash.

Ann

Desktop PC, Win 10 Home v. 1709, MS Office 2016, Adobe Photoshop & Bridge 2018
    • #631765 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Under Settings>Networking set your Ethernet of WiFi connections to metered>
      Download wushowhide.diagcab from Microsoft, put it on your desktop and use it to HIDE updates you do not want. Double cli9ck on it, click on advanced, uncheck “make changes automatically,” and Hide Updates.

These are some third-party programs/tools that can help you control Windows Updates on Home version. You can read further about each in various threads on AskWoody.

• #663801 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Is there a way to prevent Win 10 Home 64-bit v. 1709 from auto installing updated drivers for my NVIDIA display adapter (GPU)? I uninstalled the GeForce Experience, so that’s not the culprit.

Under the last several video card driver updates, my monitors have had a problem not awakening from sleep mode. I’m tired of manually reinstalling the older driver that doesn’t have this problem.

By the way, when my system was updated to Win 10 v. 1803 last fall, I manually rolled it back to 1709. I expected Microsoft to immediately reinstall 1803, but it never has! I get cumulative, security, and other updates for 1709 and haven’t had any problems, except for the monitors and File Explorer freezing and causing the system to crash.

I use Windows 10 Pro and my Nvidia GPU drivers never autoupdate (I have GeForce Experience installed). I manually install GPU drivers using GeForce Experience when new versions are out.

I don’t know if home version has the ‘block drivers installation’ feature but on my Pro this is blocked : Control Panel – System and Security – System – Advanced System Settings – Hardware – Device Installation Settings :

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #670157 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

I don’t know if home version has the ‘block drivers installation’ feature but on my Pro this is blocked

Yep, Home has the same setting.

General tip: don’t update drivers unless you have a firm known reason to do so—and then always make a disk image of your OS, Programs and Users [all typically on your C: drive] beforehand. Drivers are tricky pieces of software, so leave well enough alone.

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Preventing automatic GPU driver updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.