News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Printer Recognition

Posted on Sully1942 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Printer Recognition

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Sully1942
        AskWoody Plus

Printer: HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 (Wirelessly Connected to my PC & a Laptop)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home, Version 1909, Build 18365.720

Problem: I double-clicked on the Printer Icon to bring up HP’s Printer Assistant! It didn’t come up but HP’s Printer Install Wizard opened. Thinking that HP had an update of some kind I ran it. It finally showed a message that the wireless connection failed. After much confusion trying to figure out what the problem was, I repeated the command to open Printer Assistant on my laptop. Everything worked normally. I am now certain that the problem on my PC was caused by one or more Microsoft Patches. Hopefully someone experiencing the same problem has come up with a fix.

Moderator note: Please view post in TEXT Tab before posting.

Edited to remove HTML

Sully

• #2213760 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

try turning off the Wifi connection directly from your HP Officejet 8620 printer for at least 10 seconds and then turning it back on again (you’ll need to do this from the HP 8620 printer’s onboard control panel, not from the HP printer software nor from the Win10 Wifi settings app on the computer).

I kinda had to do that with my family’s HP Envy Photo 7800 printer a few times to get my Win10 PCs to print something thru a wireless/WiFi connection.

if my HP Envy 7800 printer were connected locally thru a usb cable, I’d have no problem.
        seems to be a wifi networking communication problem

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by EP.
        • This reply was modified 2 months ago by EP.
      • #2213770 Reply
        Sully1942
        AskWoody Plus

As I mentioned in my post, the printer is actually connected wirelessly  to both my lap[top & my home office computers. I can print from both computers but cannot bring up “Printer Assistant” on my home office computer.

Sully

• #2213794 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I believe what you are using is HP Support Assistant that includes support for your HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.
        https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html
        — The HP OfficeJet Pro 8620works normally laptop but not on your home office PC .

On each one of those computers, go to Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners.
        — You will see Let Windows manage my default printer.
        — If its checked, Windows is managing your HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.
        — If its unchecked, HP is managing your HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.
        — See is both of your PC’S have the same setting.
        — If they are different from each other, I imagine it would be a good idea to use the one that works on the laptop.

You could also download HP Printers – Install and Use the HP Smart App (Windows 10) if it isn’t available within HP Support Assistant
        https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04675142
        The HP Smart app includes tools to print, scan, check ink levels, and set up your printer on a wireless network.

On some printer problems similar to yours setting up a static IP was the solution.
        — I don’t know how to set that up but I’d call the printers manufacturer and, in most cases, they were happy to do that.
        — I just called a friend on about that from when we had that done and he verified to me it still runs excellently.
        Here is an HP video that might help if you want to try it.
        https://supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/1972074076001/assigning-your-hp-printer-a-static-ip-address

During the week before Patch Tuesday I create a system image back with an additional data backup. Please consider a similar plan that suits your schedule.
        HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #2213836 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks for your suggestions! Just so everyone is aware, prior to the problem I posted, the “Support Assistant” for my 8620 printer was accessible from both computers. This problem all of sudden arose on my computer. This is why I’m suspecting that a Microsoft Patch is the culprit.

If I can’t figure out a fix I will certainly try and download the smart app you suggested.

• #2213869 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

This is why I’m suspecting that a Microsoft Patch is the culprit.

Uninstall the patch you suspect?

Win 10 home - 1909
        Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

• #2213879 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for your suggestions! Just so everyone is aware, prior to the problem I posted, the “Support Assistant” for my 8620 printer was accessible from both computers. This problem all of sudden arose on my computer. This is why I’m suspecting that a Microsoft Patch is the culprit.

If I can’t figure out a fix I will certainly try and download the smart app you suggested.

I agree with how you are proceeding as I like to troubleshoot or double-check each recommendation also.

Go into View Update History > Driver Updates on each of your PC’s
        Look for Microsoft HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 driver updates if any.
        — I don’t know the exact wording to look for as I don’t have Microsoft manage my HP ENVY 5540 AIO.

During the week before Patch Tuesday I create a system image back with an additional data backup. Please consider a similar plan that suits your schedule.

• #2213881 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

HP Printers – HP Printer Install Wizard Support is Retired
        https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060
        EDIT: I forgot to include “HP Printer Install Wizard was an HP support application that assisted in downloading printer software. HP stopped supporting the application in 2017.”

Where did your HP Printer Install Wizard come from?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cmptrgy.
      • #2214013 Reply
        anonymous

The downloaded installation file from HP was created in 2017 & contains the wizard

• #2214171 Reply
        Sully1942
        AskWoody Plus

It turns out that HP Smart was already on my Start Menu. I am now able to do most of the stuff I could before but I still have no idea why, except for still thinking a MS patch did something ! Oh well, I’ll keep on trying to figure everything out.

Many thanks to everyone who gave suggestions!

Cheers!

Brian (Sully) Sullivan (RCN Rtd)

Sully

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Printer Recognition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.