News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Printer Security

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Printer Security

Author
    Topic

Greetings All-

I’ve been paying attention to Susan’s recent posting on print spooler issues, and I’m trying to figure if and how they apply to my situation.  I have an Officejet Pro 8600.  I’m happy with it but it’s been around for a while; the last firmware update offered was some time back in 2020, I believe.

My current setup is the printer is cable attached to my modem.  It was previously connected via wireless, but the printer didn’t like the 5 Ghz broadcast and kept disconnecting itself.  It has worked fine ever since I changed the printer/router connection from wireless to ethernet.

My main PC runs WIN 10 Pro version 21H1 and is connected to the router via ethernet, and various other devices connect to the router and internet via wireless.  The laptops have the HP printer driver installed and both print just fine with the current setup.

I’m asking if this type of setup is vulnerable to the print spooler issues.  As far as I know, none of the devices on this “network” can talk to each other.  Running Steve Gibson’s tests, everything checks good and shows the connections are operating in stealth mode.  My Pepwave Surf Modem has the ability to block printer probes, but I’d really need to dig into the instructions to learn how to do that.

That’s the setup.  Any advice, as always, would be appreciated.

Casey H

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Any printer connected to a computer can be vulnerable.  The print spooler service runs on any Windows computer. If an attacker wiggles in and uses a print spooler vulnerability they can gain more rights on your computer.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.

Interesting.  Would it help to block internet communications to and from the printer via the router firewall?

Casey

Happy Thanksgiving by the way !

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Printer Security

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.