News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Printer “unreachable” on Chromebook?

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Chromebooks and ChromeOS Printer “unreachable” on Chromebook?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        pkoryn
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been printing fine for years with my HP Chromebook to an HP printer.  Just did the latest Chrome update and now all of a sudden I get a message that my “printer is unreachable”.  Did the update 2 days ago and just tried to print something and keep getting this message.  Maybe the timing is a coincidence, but I feel like it could be the latest Chrome update causing the problem.  The printer works fine if I try to print to it from my Iphone.  I saw somewhere about cloudprint not being compatible after the first of next year but I don’t think that is the problem now?  Anyone else having this problem?  Any sugestions?

• #2305132 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Can you connect to the printer via its web interface? I assume it has wifi or ethernet.

Are you using cloud print or direct? I’d go direct – you will have to soon.

cheers, Paul

• #2305138 Reply
          pkoryn
          AskWoody Plus

I have been using the web interface to connect.  This morning it says it’s “unreachable”.  In looking at the IP address on the Chromebook under Settings for the printer – it appears to be using the MAC Hardware address instead of the IP address.  Maybe I should edit this to be the IP address – which is what I’m assuming that it wants?  I wonder if this is what got changed somehow with the latest Chrome OS update?  By the way – I’m now on version 86.0.4240.77.

• #2305139 Reply
          pkoryn
          AskWoody Plus

Paul – when you say “direct” – what exactly do you mean?  I just re-read what you wrote and now I’m not sure.  I’ve printed out the HP Network Configuration Page and there are 2 different sections.  One is 802.11 Wireless and the other is Wi-Fi Direct.  If I were to change the IP address – which one should I use.  There are 2 different addresses – one under the 802.11 section and one under the Wi-Fi direct section.  Boy – am I ever confused now!

• #2305147 Reply
        pkoryn
        AskWoody Plus

Well, I guess I fixed the problem. I deleted the printer as it was shown, and added it like it was a new printer.  I input the correct IP address (not the one that it had been showing) and now it prints fine.  I am assuming the the OS update somehow changed the  IP address?  Anyway – it is working for now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2305350 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The IP change was made by your router. Did you change it / reset it?

cheers, Paul

• #2305362 Reply
          pkoryn
          AskWoody Plus

No – I did not reset the router.  When I printed out my HP printers Network Configuration page I noticed that the number for the IP address shown was not what was listed when I looked at my printer information on my Chromebook under Settings.  The IP address the Chromebook was showing was actually the Hardware Address (MAC) listed on the printers Configuration Page.  I can’t imagine how it would have been changed from the IP address to the MAC address!

• #2305632 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Not having a Chromebook I can’t check how printers are setup.
        Anyone with a CB who can tell us?

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Printer “unreachable” on Chromebook?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.