News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Printing labels

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Author
    Topic

Just used the last of my stone-age era adhesive “To-From” shipping labels and I find that no local stores carry them any more- they all have various “Avery” blank labels that you feed through your printer.  I know I can order some online, but I bought some of the Avery locally.

Avery offers an app to print the labels, but I didn’t see a Linux option.

Since all I need is to imitate those old To-From labels, I figured I can gin that up without an app and print on the sheets of labels, but I noticed a caution to change the paper settings on the printer (HP LaserJet M1522nf) to prevent damage to the adhesive.  I’ve searched the user guide but haven’t found just what to do.

Any wisdom on this?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I typically use the label wizard in Office, I believe libre office has a wizard as well.

Normally it’s in the printer selection to go into the properties and change the paper quality.  What printer are you using?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.

After looking at the label wizard setup, it seems easier to go my own way.  There are 6 labels per sheet.  I want the labels to have rectangular outlines near the edges, so for correct location I’ll make light pencil locating lines on a blank sheet and scan it, then open the scan in Office and use the lines as a guide to draw the outlines- not difficult in the Draw function.  Then, after adding the “From-To” and other minimal stuff, I can save the page as a template for printing.

The printer, as mentioned, is an HP LaserJet M1522nf, pretty decent unit with copy, print, scan, fax.  If I can’t find the means of setting the paper for labels, I might try a sheet using current settings to see what happens.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Have you seen a paper or media type setting in the printer driver setting dialog?

ok why don’t you scan a blank printer label sheet then open up the image in gimp,
      create your address labels and place exactly over each label.
      Then save/export the whole image as a pdf.
      Print the pdf onto your labels, (size for size) problem solved!
      (alignment will be good enough)

| Quality over Quantity |

I’ve never done anything with Gimp, but I’m somewhat familiar with Draw.  This could be a good opportunity to broaden my computer skills.  I think I can win with either route.

What I don’t know is whether I have to change any settings on the printer to work with the adhesive-backed sheets, and as yet haven’t learned anything from the HP user guide.  Anyone have experience printing adhesive labels?

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

I had a Canon printer once that had a “label” option under paper choices. In the absence of that (it could also be under some other option menu so just snoop around), I’d be pretty tempted to choose some sort of photo paper setting that would come close to the label thickness; might help prevent a potential paper jam.

For me the best way to print labels is with NiceLabel. Small production labels, A5s, A4s, you can do everything.
      In the designer, you can add text, 2D objects, barcodes.
      designer

Simple, fast and very variable. You can have one template, which you feed with data from Excel, csv, or even database. Then you select whichone to print.
      print

It costs some money, but for me its worth every EUR we spent. It is a lifetime license. No monthly subscription model.

Unfortunatelly I cant help with the stickers (shipping labels), I dont know about availability in US, but I bet you could find some.
      Use the manual tray on your printer. Then the paper goes the shortest way. Ive seen some stickers inside the printer and its complicated to get rid of them. Set the paper type on your printer, pick “labels” if available. Its possible, that “label type” can be available only for manual paper tray, its like this on our printers.

I’d be pretty tempted to choose some sort of photo paper setting that would come close to the label thickness; might help prevent a potential paper jam.

I agree, some printers do have “thick” paper on it. I also think, that paper type affects the ammount of inf/toner added for the printing. I mean: photo paper and basic paper do have different absorbability (hope you understand what I mean 😉)

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

I now have a template made with the desired label configuration.  But I still cannot find where to change the paper type to accommodate the adhesive-backed sheets of blank labels.  Unknown whether this happens on the printer screen or in the PC.  I’ve looked at the specific user guide as well as some hits from a search, but still can’t find just what to do.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

The way it works for is typically something like this:

Pull down File menu and choose Print. A window opens up with a bunch of things you can click on. Usually there’s a Settings or Options or Advanced Settings which when clicked will give a scroll menu with paper options for paper type paper tray etc. You may just have to start clicking on things to see where to set the paper type. Sometimes the paper options will be in the first window that pops up (doesn’t sound like that’s the case for you, but…)

Or possibly enter IP address of the printer to the browser (edge, chrome, ..) and try to set the paper type there.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

The missing clue was in this post.  With the template displayed, opening the File menu, upper left, then choosing Print, generated a dialog box with a row of options across the top- never noticed them before, as I have previously needed only the defaults, and used the Ctrl-P shortcut.  The dropdown for Page Setup showed choices for several parameters, including Paper, which had an option for Labels.  Test page of labels was good except that the printer was slightly delayed at picking up the blank label sheet from the paper supply tray, so there is a minor vertical displacement.  That dialog box mentioned above had an option for using the manual feeder tray, I’ll try that.

The only fallout from this as I can see is that the printer now defaults to Labels.

Thanks to all who posted.  I didn’t mean to make this into a big honkin’ deal!

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

On some printers I’ve used the last-used settings are retained until they’re changed again. Seems like that’s what is happening with the “Label” setting. I find small post-it notes useful to remind myself of some steps if they’re outside my usual routine. I don’t know how critical the “Label” setting – or other choices on your printer – is but I have had the occasional paper jam when printing on thick paper stock using a normal paper setting (I’ve mostly used Canon printers)

All good advice.  My understanding is that the “label” selection lowers the heat setting to avoid damage to the adhesive.  Would have been helpful if the various user guides I consulted were clearer on where to find the #@&&$ label setting!

Our printer is an office-quality HP multifunction machine that Staples was “giving away” quite some years ago due, I think, to having been discontinued.  It’s laser and produces a nicer image than our old inkjet model.

After my previous post I messed around with printer setup for several random docs (didn’t print them), changing the paper setting, now that I can do it.  They all showed “label” by default.  What seems to happen is that if I change from the labels option a couple of times, the change then sticks.

Re the Post-its- glad to hear I’m not the only one dependent on them.  My memory is as good as ever, but noticeably shorter in my dotage.

nt on them.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Don’t have much experience with laser printers but the heat thing makes sense. The label setting as default doesn’t make as much sense, but I guess that’s the nature of software!

I seem to develop a muscle memory at the computer probably because almost everything I do is the same thing over and over;post-its help when some new thing comes along

The printer pinch rollers probably don’t any need adjustment for labels. These label sheets are circa 200gm paper thickness (read negligable) hence no setting required.
        Just print one and all this will become FUD 😐

| Quality over Quantity |

The label setting as default doesn’t make as much sense, but I guess that’s the nature of software!

I suspect those “label” settings were due to my changing to that setting for that one doc, the sheet of labels.  In any case, I think all is back to normal now.

Linux Mint Mate 19.2

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Printing labels

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.