News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Printing with a Chromebook

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by

jabeattyauditor 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

pkoryn

With the end of support for Windows 7 approaching, I’m seriously considering buying a Chromebook.  I think it will meet my needs nicely but am concerned with the problems I’ve read about getting a printer to work with it.  I’m considering an HP Chromebook, and have a HP Envy 5660 printer which has the “eprint” symbol on it but not the “cloud print” symbol.  As it stands currently with my Windows 7 laptop, I can print wirelessly  just fine with the 5660 printer.  The printer has it’s own email address as well.  Any idea if this printer would work with a Chromebook?  I’d hate to have to replace the printer which works great but I definitely need the ability to print!  I’ve researched this online at HP’s site and seem to get conflicting info as to whether or not this printer is considered Cloud Print ready.  I should probably mention that I’m considering an HP Chromebook solely because I thought it might “play nicer” with my HP Printer – am I fooling myself and maybe the brand of Chromebook doesn’t make a difference? Appreciate any advice you can share.

• #318833 Reply

pkoryn
      AskWoody Plus

Just noticed that my post above shows me as “annonymous” – I thought I was logged in when I posted but maybe not.  Sorry about that!

• #318854 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

It’s been my experience that Chromebooks will print to printers on the same local subnet as long as they have the necessary driver support – no Google Print needed.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7225252?hl=en

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #318855 Reply

admin
      Da Boss

Second what jabeatty says… but you have to be on the same subnet.

I use Google Print from my main machine now (which is on an Ethernet connection, thus not on the same subnet as my printer) and it works great. I can also use the scan functions, which scan the doc and email it to me. And I use Google Print for all of my tablets and phones, from anywhere. No sweat, once I figured out that I needed Google Print.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #319048 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks @jabeattyauditor for the link. Perhaps the wiring in my brain is deficient, but I have never really understood Google Cloud Print. It seems complicated just for the sake of being complicated.

In any case, the above link makes it sound that if I connect a printer to a chromebook with a usb cable, then printing is essentially plug and play with the possible exception of downloading a driver – although even that sounds pretty much automatic – with no need to know the printer’s IP address. protocol, queue, etc. In other words it’s about as simple as connecting a printer to a Mac or Windows machine via a usb cable.

Is my understanding basically correct?

I’m asking because I’m trying to keep some Win7 PCs patched for some retired folks on limited income, and trying to figure out what to do next January. These folks want something secure, reliable, and cheap to do some basic stuff: email, logging into social security and bank accounts, and health care portals. And of course, they’ll need to print some pdf documents. It seems that a chromebook would be well suited to this if printing will be easy.

I’d appreciate anybody’s thoughts about any of this. Hopefully I’m not drifting too far off the original topic.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #319390 Reply

anonymous

I’m like @drbonzo , my lack of understanding printing from ChromeOS has been my reason to not switch already. My flawed understanding includes that printers cannot connect directly to a Chromebook, and that the OS will not load drivers. Yet the Google link given by @jabeattyauditor plainly shows two notes in separate places:

Note: If your printer doesn’t connect to Wi-Fi or a wired network, you can also use a USB cable to directly connect your printer to your Chromebook.

and further down:

Note: You don’t have to connect to the internet if you have a USB cable. Connect your printer to your Chromebook with a USB cable, then print. If so, the printer doesn’t need to be connected to Wi-Fi after it’s set up.

These notes are within directions specifically for networked printing. There is no further clarity on how the driver is loaded, suggesting some form of plug and play setup. There is no mention of a list for compatible models or package marking to seek.

Can anyone confirm they use a printer connected directly to a Chromebook by USB? Is it truly as easy as plug it in, and select from a list? What brand and model works for you? Has it always been this easy? I seem to have misunderstood. Being able to print easily is important to me.

–Gutenberg

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #319423 Reply

pkoryn
      AskWoody Plus

And now to show my ignorance – what exactly is “the same local subnet”?  I’m assuming in my case it is the router/modem that my laptop is on and my printer as well?  Both are used wirelessly.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #319436 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… yes, usually being connected to the same router/modem or the same named wireless network means you’re on the same “local subnet”.

But, usually doesn’t mean always, even some inexpensive “home”-grade router/modems can split their connections into several subnets, and you can also have multiple devices in a single subnet… like differently named wireless stations.

Determining if this actually is so will require some networking knowledge… or the quickest test might just be to see if “automatically when in the same local subnet” things work between them 😉

• #319437 Reply

dgreen
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m on the same page as @Dr.Bonzo about Chromebooks.
      First, I read here a little while ago, that you can connect a Chromebook to an ethernet connection with an adapter, which was a huge “happy dance” from me. (I do not have wi-fi)
      Not being able to print was going to be another problem…..
      I have a DSL connection (landline)……yeah I know old school.
      I own a tracfone flip phone for long distance calls which is cheaper than landline costs.
      however……
      now this revelation of just hooking up a printer via USB cable to a chromebook, which I now do to my Dell Inspiron Desk top (2013)……
      You have my full attention of believing that a chromebook could be a good fit in my future!
      BTW,  I am now retired and on a fixed income.
      I do not do any online banking, never have, never will.
      My other question about chromebook is email account.
      I use Thunderbird.  How will that work?

• #319438 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Chromebooks are basically a browser in laptop form.
        You won’t have Thunderbird. If you have been using it to download your email to your PC and read it offline, that doesn’t work anymore.

There is Gmail – which is online. You can forward your mail from your ISP (or whatever mail server you use for an email address) to the Gmail account. But reading the email in Gmail with a Chromebook is an online thing.

The other alternative is using email on your ISP (or whatever mail server you use) server. Again it requires an Internet connection.

• #319442 Reply

jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Gmail will also serve as an IMAP-connected viewer to other email servers – no need to forward the mail unless you have serious storage limitations on your other email account(s).

• #319443 Reply

jabeattyauditor

Btw, I didn’t realize this, but the web-based/Chromebook-based Gmail now supports offline use:  https://support.google.com/a/answer/7684186

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Printing with a Chromebook

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.