News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Privacy : Signal, Apple’s own iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Privacy : Signal, Apple’s own iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple has started enforcing ‘privacy labels ‘ on all apps in Apple App Store and Mac App Store.

iOS, MacOS users have the option to opt-in or not.

Forbes compared Signal, Apple’s iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger ‘Privacy Labels’

Just look at Facebook’s horror.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Alex5723.
        • This topic was modified 2 months ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Alex. A most interesting article, this Forbes’ one. It looks like what Tim Cook has been saying, repeatedly, about users of Apple devices’ privacy being taken seriously at Apple, is not purely PR talk.

Do I understand correctly that the newly introduced labels are not just effective to prevent industrial strength snooping with WhatsApp and Facebook, or is their usefulness limited to just these two?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Do I understand correctly that the newly introduced labels are not just effective to prevent industrial strength snooping with WhatsApp and Facebook, or is their usefulness limited to just these two?

All apps in App Store and all apps in Mac store including Apple’s own preinstalled apps are required to publish ‘privacy labels ‘.

anonymous

Signal is far superior to apples iMassage for privacy, especially if the registration trick is used 😉

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The last time any Google iOS app was updated was on December 7.

Google to add App Store privacy labels to its iOS apps as soon as this week

Contrary to reports, Google is not delaying updates to its iOS apps because it doesn’t want to comply with Apple’s recently announced App Store Privacy Labels policy…

TechCrunch confirmed Google is not taking a stand against the labels. It is, in fact, preparing to roll out privacy labels across its sizable iOS app catalog as soon as this week or the next…

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Facebook : We have ‘no choice’ but to comply with Apple’s App Tracking Transparency feature

Facebook told businesses that whilst it disagrees with Apple’s solution, it has “no choice” but to show the opt-in prompt and to continue using Apple’s device identifier for advertising. The company states that it believes Apple could block Facebook and its other apps from the App Store if it doesn’t comply, bringing “further harm to the businesses and users that rely on our services.”

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
          dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

I have turned off all tracking possible (I think) on my IOS devices (e.g. location, notifications, etc.) and locked down FB privacy as much as possible.  I know FB is a privacy horror!  But, I still feel I need to have it for various reasons.  By updating FB & iOS privacy settings, am I minimizing the data collection noted above, or not so much?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

WhatsApp to Require Users to Share Data With Facebook Via New Privacy Policy
        Takes effect in Feb. 8

WhatsApp is indicating you’ll soon have no choice but to share your data with company parent Facebook if you’d like to keep using the service.

The messaging app has published a new privacy policy, which takes effect on Feb. 8. “After this date, you’ll need to accept these updates to continue using WhatsApp,” the service has been telling users via an in-app alert that asks them to agree to the policy.

If you don’t agree, the same alert subtly suggests you delete your account.

If you live in Europe, WhatsApp says no data will be shared with Facebook under the new privacy policy. “There are no changes to WhatsApp’s data-sharing practices in the Europe arising from this update. It remains the case that WhatsApp does not share European Region WhatsApp user data with Facebook for the purpose of Facebook using this data to improve its products or ad,”

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
          dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

It really is breath-taking and alarming to realize the amount of data collection to which we are subject!!! And once again, I’d LIKE to delete an over-reaching app (I mean you FB!), but I can’t (won’t, don’t want to) bc I need it stay in touch! I use Whatsapp to communicate with a friend in a foreign country and it’s an easy, ‘free’ way to stay in touch.  I got the notice, but exited out.  I am going to do this when it comes up again – not ideal, but at least it helps a bit.

https://www.techjuice.pk/here-is-how-you-can-limit-whatsapp-from-sharing-your-data/

And speaking of FB – I took the advice from this article and deleted the apps from my IOS devices + checked my privacy settings.  https://www.wired.com/story/ways-facebook-tracks-you-limit-it/

I will use the web to access FB.  I had already locked down my privacy as much as possible – still lots of data collection going on.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by dmt_3904.
          1 user thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

On January 5 :

Google to add App Store privacy labels to its iOS apps as soon as this week

So, this week, the next week and the next week.. have passed and there is still No Sign of Privacy Labels for Most Google iOS Apps. Only Google Authenticator and Google Translate were added the new privacy label showing
        collection of location data, user content, identifiers, diagnostics data… may be linked to the user.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
    Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Privacy : Signal, Apple’s own iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.