• Privacy tools you may not be aware of

Author
    Topic
    • AnonAddy — an open-source anonymous email forwarding that allows users to sign anonymously and create aliases for their email addresses to use on websites and reply to messages with the alias.
    • Session — is an open-source encrypted secure messaging application that minimizes metadata and its decentralized architecture means that your data isn’t stored in centralized servers.
    • Privacy — for a small fee this site allows users to create virtual payment cards for one-time purchases or subscriptions, so you don’t have to worry about your private credit card info being stolen in data breaches or those pesky renewal fees for subscriptions that you forgot to cancel.
    • Tutanota — a free open-source secure email and calendar application with automatic encryption that is private by design. Available for iOS, Android, & desktop PCs.
    • Notesnook — a free or paid ($4.99/mo.) end-to-end encrypted notetaking app that looks nearly identical to Evernote but actually cares about your privacy. Imagine that.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

9 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Thank you Susan for the good list of privacy tools. Sven Taylor at the website restore privacy dot com also has a good list of Privacy and Security Tools that are worth a look also.

“The world is changing fast and your private data is at risk whenever you go online. Numerous entities, both public and private, are working hard to track, monitor, and record your digital activities … don’t get discouraged … we find excellent solutions to give you more privacy, security, and freedom in your digital life.”

Privacy Tools – How to Restore Your Online Privacy in 2022

https://restoreprivacy.com/privacy-tools/

4 users thanked author for this post.

Great list. So sorry that “Tutanota” cannot fetch Gmail’s anymore, just like “K-9”. The Google/gmail logins API doesn’t allow a connection.
      K-9 will bring a new version in some time (working together with Thunderbird).
      “Spark” accepts and is accepted by Gmail Hotmail Live etc.

* Is this a fact: "foreignpolicy.com/2022/04/25/the-real-threat-to-social-media-is-europe", Really? * get out of the poisonous Metaverse *

So sorry that “Tutanota” cannot fetch Gmail’s anymore

When could it do that?
        It’s an end to end encrypted service so using Google, or any other non-fully encrypted mail store, would break the encryption.

cheers, Paul

Hi Paul. I have no idea , and was disappointed.
          I was looking for a (android) client that could collect my email from various accounts working on different operating systems.
          So the upcoming Thunderbird-K9 do have some high expectations.
          For the very private secured email exchanges there isn’t much besides the obvious yet.
          Even Protonmail has a known incident of handing over connection-metadata to a government after judge’s interfearence and approval.
          Greetings

* Is this a fact: "foreignpolicy.com/2022/04/25/the-real-threat-to-social-media-is-europe", Really? * get out of the poisonous Metaverse *

No email client can guarantee security if used outside an end to end encrypted service. If you need security, use Signal. If you need an email client for any mail service, live with the possibility that your messages may be read by others.

cheers, Paul

For Apple users :

iMessage : Encrypted messaging app

FaceTime : Encrypted video chats/calls

iCloud Private Relay : Private and secure browsing

Hide My Email : keeps personal email address private and creates random email addresses.

No email client can guarantee security if used outside an end to end encrypted service. If you need security, use Signal. If you need an email client for any mail service, live with the possibility that your messages may be read by others.

“Signal” is hardly to see as an email-service, even Signal has it’s limits in messaging; finally it’s bound to US-jurisdiction;
      And yes, concerning privacy and encryption is for lots of people a big thing.
      Even single PGP-encryption has it’s limits too, Uncle Sam has it’s backdoor there also, as in ‘TrueCrypt v.7.1a’ (the latest formal version).
      Protonmail including the PGPencryption still has the best for being that private.

Finally:
      I just was/am looking for a (Android) client that can collect my email from various accounts working on different operating systems.  And there is!.

Finally, and I don’t like this: by far, almost all so called client-email-collector-Apps are eager to vacuum all private users-data [from phone or pc, like connections, hardware-configurations, calendar, contacts, emailcontent, documentcontent etc]. Cambridge-Analytics was a bitter lesson.

backdoor there also, as in ‘TrueCrypt v.7.1a’

You can’t just throw in lines about products having back doors unless you provide details – especially when referencing 10 year old, superseded software.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

Proof of backdoor in PGP please…

Privacy — for a small fee this site allows users to create virtual payment cards for one-time purchases or subscriptions, so you don’t have to worry about your private credit card info being stolen in data breaches or those pesky renewal fees for subscriptions that you forgot to cancel.

My cc comp does this as well, no third party needed. Try yours…..

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Wavy: “My cc comp does this as well, no third party needed. Try yours…..’

I am interested: Could you explain in some detail what you mean by this? Thanks.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Carpe Diem {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender WuMgr
      offline▸ Acer AspireOne Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD GuineaPig
      online▸ Win11Pro 21H2.22000.795 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox104.0b6 MicrosoftDefender WuMgr

Geekdom: “Alphabet soup stuff explanations

For those that might be interested: Maybe this is not too much of an Alphabet Soup and might explain enough to get some idea of what “Pretty Good Privacy”, or “PGP” is all about, without too much techie obfuscation?

https://www.goanywhere.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-pgp-encryption#:~:text=PGP%20encryption%20is%20a%20data,cryptography%20to%20keep%20data%20secure.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Alphabet soup stuff explanations:

TrueCrypt:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt

PGP:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

thanks Geekdom,
      this is a beginning to read, and start to investigate the history of these programs about the why and how; there are reasons for discontinuing and changing the software, and banning access to some.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Privacy tools you may not be aware of

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: