News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problem manually installing updates Win10 Pro

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Problem manually installing updates Win10 Pro

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CADesertRat 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

igno11
      AskWoody Plus

Hello. I do not have a lot of techno know-how and need some help. After years of holding out and manually updating my beloved Lenovo W530 Win7, I upgraded a couple months ago to Win10 – to Pro, following guidance on this site, so I could control updates. I used the group policy route to turn off updates, and that has worked fine. But now as I am attempting to install Woody and the Patch Lady’s recommended updates, I am stuck.

There is no option I can see to manually update. I poked around on various sites and followed their instructions, but I don’t get the options they suggest I will get. Here is one set of instructions, and below is a screen shot of what I actually encounter:

“While automatic updates remains disabled, you can still download and install patches manually from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button.”

As you can see on the attachment, there is no “Check for Updates” button, only the option to update whole-hog, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

What am I missing here? How do I manually update and keep the group policy/no automatic updates setting? Looking forward to tapping into your group wisdom, and thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    • #2016365 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

W10 doesn’t have a manual update option. You either update everything or don’t update.

What you can do is hold off the updates by setting the network port to “metered”, or hide certain updates using wushowhide – or do both.

cheers, Paul

• #2016589 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

The only way to “manually” update W10 is to go to the MS catalog site and manually download the KB’s you want https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro all 1903 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problem manually installing updates Win10 Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.