News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problem unstalling a program, then installing an older version

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Problem unstalling a program, then installing an older version

• This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I have Win 10 Version 1909, updated through the end of last month.

I’ve had an old version of iTunes for a long time. I liked that version so much better than later versions that I kept it on my Win 7 computer and also kept a copy of the executable for backup. When I got a Win 10 laptop, I installed that older version and it worked fine. So I know that it’s compatible with Windows 10.

I then got my new desktop with Win 10 and thought I’d give the newest version of iTunes a try. I downloaded from the MS Store, but after a few months I’ve decided that I despise it, so I uninstalled iTunes, rebooted and then tried to install my old version. It won’t install. Instead, I get the message shown in the attachment, stating that a later version is already installed. I double checked, and, short of looking in the registry (of which I am not a connoisseur) I could find no indication that it actually is currently installed. There is, on my D: drive (my system and programs are on C: and my data is on D:, which is a separate drive), some iTunes related files, such as the iTunes Library.itl, but that’s hardly the same thing as the program actually being installed on the computer.

The question is how to make my new desktop realize that a later version of iTunes isn’t currently installed on my new desktop. Or, if in some mysterious way it really is still installed, how to find out and deal with it. (Entering “itunes” in Windows search doesn’t turn up anything.)

Any ideas on what’s causing the problem and how to address it?

Thanks very much.

• #2211319 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Please see the following link for full instructions:

Learn how to completely uninstall iTunes and its related software components from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

Remove iTunes and its related components

Make sure that iTunes and its related components are completely uninstalled

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211320 Reply
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

Good heavens. So uninstalling iTunes is actually a thing.

That links looks very helpful. As I shelter in place tomorrow I’ll give it a good go-over.

Thanks large.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
      • #2211321 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

As a general rule, when uninstalling a program, use a purpose built uninstaller such as REVO.  This program (and no doubt others similar) will do the following:  (a) run the target program’s uninstaller, if one exists, then (b) search the registry for any leftover entries, and offer to delete them, and (c) search for any leftover files, and offer to delete these as well.  The free version is perfectly adequate.  One point to watch:  sometimes the target program’s uninstaller will ask for a system restart.  Do not do the restart until after the leftover registry entries and files (if any) have been deleted.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2211470 Reply
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

Time for a confession, while I can remember to give it: I have Revo, but forgot to use it. All I can say is that everyone eventually gets old and [mess]ed-up.

But anyway, this raises a couple questions to which it probably would be a good idea to answers before I get going with the uninstallation procedure suggested on the Apple web page that I was given yesterday.

The Apple instructions themselves warn not to restart before everything has been addressed. But I already did restart. iTunes didn’t give me a message to do so; I just do that as a routine practice after an uninstallation, since that’s what I was taught to do many moons ago. So where does that leave me?

Should I first reinstall the newer version of iTunes, which presumably will again do exactly the same things to the registry and other mysterious aspects of Windows that it did when it was first installed? That is, will a reinstallation put my system back into the condition it was in before I did the first uninstallation/restart? And only then should I use Revo, followed by the complete Apple procedure?

Which raises a second, overlapping question. The Apple instructions warn that it’s important to do a long list of things in order, the consequence of failure apparently being, in the very least, that the newer version of iTunes will continue to torment me for the rest of my life. If I use Revo to do it’s more extensive uninstallation act, will that interfere with the order that the Apple instructions prescribe?

If I were left completely to guess, I would guess not, since Revo (I think, but don’t know) basically cleans out entries in the registry, whereas the Apple instructions don’t address the registry at all. Still, how one of many things may relate to others is far above my head. For all I know, every one of the Apple-prescribed steps may have consequences in the registry. So I have to ask.

Any further advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks much.

• #2211536 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The Apple instructions warn that it’s important to do a long list of things in order, the consequence of failure apparently being, in the very least, that the newer version of iTunes will continue to torment me for the rest of my life. If I use Revo to do it’s more extensive uninstallation act, will that interfere with the order that the Apple instructions prescribe?

Just go by Apple’s order of uninstalling the iTunes components. You can use REVO (I trust and use the free portable Geekuninstaller).

• #2211561 Reply
          BobStr
          AskWoody Plus

On the present status of affairs, there’s nothing on which to use Revo, since I’ve already uninstalled iTunes without using Revo.

Now that I know that I shouldn’t have rebooted before following the rest of the steps in Apple’s instructions, I’m concerned about what my next very step should be.

(1) Should I just proceed with the Apple instructions, as though I never injudiciously rebooted? That would take Revo out of the picture altogether, meaning that I wouldn’t be following your current advice. Or

(2) Should I reinstall the newer version of iTunes first. then uninstall it again, this time using Revo, which will then be able to get its hooks into whatever extra stuff it gets its hooks into when it uninstalls a program?

Maybe I’m over-thinking this, but these are two fundamentally different ways of proceeding. Having already taken the step of rebooting before I was supposed to — at least according to Apple — I have to wonder if that mis-step can be corrected by the procedure of another install followed by a Revo uninstall, before following the rest of Apple’s recommended steps.

Thanks.

• #2211583 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

I would try (1) first, then (2) if you’re still stuck on installing the version you want.

I think Apple’s “Wait to restart your computer until you’re finished removing all of the components.” may only be to save you the time of rebooting six separate times.

• #2211597 Reply
              BobStr
              AskWoody Plus

I’ll try that.

Thanks.

b
      • #2211716 Reply
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

Well, I’ve tried everything that was suggested so far, and nothing has worked.

I started with the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275. With one exception, none of the things listed there for uninstallation seemed to exist on my computer. The single exception was found via Win + R | Type in %program files% | Enter. There was a subfolder named iPod, which I deleted per the instructions. Finding nothing else, I followed the instructions concluding steps, and emptied the Recycle Bin and then rebooted.

After that I tried again to install my older version of iTunes. No go, as before.

I then went to the Apple site and downloaded the most recent version that could be obtained as an executable. (Although that site refers you to the MS Store for the latest version, there’s a link “Find previous versions of iTunes”, which I used to download the most recent pre-MS Store executable. It wouldn’t install either.

So I went back to the MS Store and installed iTunes again, in order to uninstall it afresh, this time with Revo. But Revo wouldn’t do it, evidently because whatever it is that the MS Store installs doesn’t put a traditional exe file anywhere for Revo find.

I then downloaded and tried Geekuninstaller. as suggested. It didn’t work either. After I launched the program it provided a list of programs by name. iTunes wasn’t included, even though it’s definitely back on my computer (assuming that it was ever really gone, which starts to look doubtful). Nor was there anything under “Apple” or “Bonjour.” There was a little item called “iPod support.” Don’t know what to make of that one, especially since looking for “ipod” in Windows Search didn’t turn up anything (other than a couple of text files that I created). In any case, since iTunes isn’t just an “iPod support” program, that obviously could not be the principal thing I have to delete.

That’s it for how I tried to uninstall iTunes for the second time. But to top it off, I summoned back up the instructions at the Apple site I had been referred to, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275. This time, with iTunes having been installed again, I looked for the various things that those instructions say should be deleted, starting with “iTunes” itself. Again, with the exception of the iPod folder found via Win + R | type in %program files% | Enter, nothing in the list could be found.

This all makes me wonder whether Apple designed these instructions with the MS Store version of iTunes in mind.

Indeed, there seems to be something very strange (and annoying) about programs installed directly from the MS Store. I’ve installed only once previous program from that source – software for my HP printer. Can’t remember what it was called, other than that it’s name included the wildly ill-suited word “Smart”. It turned out to be a piece of not-fully-functional eye candy which – surprise, surprise! – did something that, even after I uninstalled it, prevented me from later installing an executable that I downloaded directly from HP. Even with the help of tech support I was never able to get the printer up and running with my new desktop, until I finally restored Windows to factory condition. Not what I wanted.

This is more than a rant. Since I’m two for two with the MS Store, so let this be a warning to others.

But back to my iTunes problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Other than a factory reset of Windows?

Thanks.

• #2211731 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

But back to my iTunes problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

In Geekuninstaller under ‘view’ select ‘Windows Store Apps’ and see if you have anything Apple/iTunes..

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211795 Reply
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

Well, there it was. Guess I should have familiarized myself with Geekuninstaller a little better before posting back here. (Shows how eager I am to get rid of the MS Store iTunes).

But unfortunately, although I then uninstalled iTunes, along with the single registry entry that Geekuninstaller had found, my attempt, after rebooting, to install an older version of iTunes failed again. I still get the message that a newer version of iTunes is already installed.

I did a quick search of the registry, and of course there are numerous items there that include “itunes.” I stopped looking after I’d found 30 of them.

Is there another way to proceed from here? Go through the registry and delete everything “itunes” related? Something else?

Thanks.

• #2211836 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Is there another way to proceed from here? Go through the registry and delete everything “itunes” related? Something else?

If your are not faint of heart you can use a registry cleaner (like CCleaner..) to cleanup redundant entries (providing you take 1) full image copy of your system 2)full registry backup 3)create a restore point.
        Did you search for folders/files with Apple, iTunes..still on your PC ? Use the free portable and the best search app : Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/).

• #2211910 Reply
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I installed Everything and searched for “itunes.” The attachment shows what it turned up.

And here’s some info on the various things listed there.

The folder Apple Computer\iTunes contains a file named iPodDevices.xml, plus two empty sub-folders.

The folder iTunes Plug-ins is empty

The next two folders are hidden folders. I opened one, and it contained numerous files, many having a name that began “AppCrash_bad_module_info_”. I have no idea what that’s all about, whether it’s as bad as it sounds.

No idea what’s inside that folder named “AppleInc.iTunes…” Trying to opening it through Everything produces a message that I may not have the appropriate permission to access it. I didn’t try to access it through the Administrator account. In my user account, I went to C:\ProgramData\Packages, and couldn’t open it there either. No message was produced, just silence.

The next iTunes folder, contained in D:\Computer\Programs, is irrelevant, since it’s merely where I keep mostly text files that I’ve created relating to my various programs.

The next two folders contain the versions of iTunes that I’ve been unable to install because of interference from the MS Store iTunes.

D:\Music\iTunes is where iTunes Library.itl and several other files reside.

D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media contains music & podcasts that I loaded into iTunes.

The folder D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes is empty.

There’s additional stuff, such as icons in the cache, shortcuts in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent and .pf files in the prefetch folder. And that seems to be it.

Does any of this suggest anything?

Thanks.

Everything-Search

Attachments:
    Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problem unstalling a program, then installing an older version

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.