News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problem with Amazon search box populating with old search

Posted on Scott MacLean Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Problem with Amazon search box populating with old search

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bluetrix 4 days, 1 hour ago.

• Author

Scott MacLean
      AskWoody Plus

I have developed a problem I hope someone may be able to help with. A few seconds after Amazon’s home page loads, the search box populates with an old search request from over a year ago. This happens before I have a chance to type anything into the search box.  The rest of the page is greyed out and inaccessible until I click on the text box and delete the text contents. After deleting the text, it reappears again a few seconds preventing me from any further searches. This happens over and over. I have tried everything I can think of, but have not been able to stop this from occurring. This happens with both the Chrome and Firefox browsers. The operating system is Windows 7. The search must be getting the text from somewhere, but I have no idea where. Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have to help me solve this issue.

• #2012896 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Maybe Amazon is using cookies to store the old data and it’s confused. Try deleting all cookies from your browser – I regularly clean out cookies and other site settings.

cheers, Paul

• #2013153 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

In Firefox just to the left of the “secure” lock icon, click on the exclamation mark.

(the circled one)  At the bottom of the drop down menu, click on “Clear cookies and site data”.

This only affects the site you are on, so you don’t lose any desirable cookies or site data elsewhere.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

• #2013352 Reply

Scott MacLean
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to Paul T and Bluetrix for the advice. I tried Bluetrix”s suggestion and the old search is still there. I also turned off Private Browsing (to see if that helped), cleared cache and cookies again, and turned off browsing history on Amazon. Old search is still there and browsing history turned itself back on again. I also forgot to mention in the original post I had contacted Amazon Customer Service for help. They tried to help, but we could not solve my issue while on the phone with them. Question: Is that old search history saved within Amazon somewhere, because this issue only occurs on Amazon on both Firefox and Chrome browsers? Thanks again for the suggestions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2013353 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

If I search Amazon for something, a while later I may get an email from Amazon suggesting the item and some related stuff. I have an Amazon account.
      Since the old search is common to more that one unrelated browser in your case, maybe it’s not the browser that is retaining your search. Maybe the common denominator is Amazon retaining your search.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2013354 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

I’m thinking on the same lines as PKCano. I don’t use Amazombi because they track you everywhere. That they couldn’t correct the issue which only occurs on their site says something, just what it says I’m not sure.

If you want to try something else, down load Waterfox Browser and try Amazon on it. Do not import to Waterfox any bookmarks or settings from other browsers, use it as a stand alone.

hth

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problem with Amazon search box populating with old search

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.