News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problem with Windows Settings | Update & Security

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Problem with Windows Settings | Update & Security

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

BobStr
      AskWoody Plus

I have a two-part problem/question.

I have Windows 10 Pro version 1809.

I haven’t had any recent problems with my computer, until today, when, simply to follow something being said in the most recent AskWoody Newsletter, I tried to launch Windows Settings | Update & Security. Couldn’t do it. Every time I click on Update & Security, the appropriate window pops up for only an instant, and then automatically closes. Rebooting makes no difference.

I ran (or at least tried to run) a Windows Defender Offline scan. I couldn’t get to it via Windows Settings, but was able to do so by hitting the Windows key and typing Windows Security. I did the necessary to launch the scan, and it seemed to proceed as it should. I left it to do its thing, and when I returned about 30 minutes later, the computer had restarted back to Windows.

Apparently this type of scan doesn’t show its result automatically, so I followed the directions on the MS site to go back to and view Windows Security | Virus & threat protection | Threat history. There it stated that the last security scan was a quick scan that had run yesterday morning. No mention of the offline scan that I had just finished running. I have therefore have no idea whether the scan ran to completion and, if it did, how to find the results.

So my two questions.

First, how do I deal with the lack of offline scan results? For example, do I need to do more than what I just recited in order to see the results, or does the lack of results mean that the scan didn’t actually run after all; if something has to be fixed how do I do it, etc.?

Second, how do I deal with Windows Settings | Update & Security refusing to stay open?

Thanks.

• #1945376 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

For the first, try;

%windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational.evtx

and double-click that file to open the Windows Defender log in Event Viewer.

(I would have expected Offline Scan results where you looked for them, but …)

For the second, perhaps start with the Start Menu Troubleshooter, before SFC and DISM:

Start Menu Troubleshooter in Windows 10

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1945520 Reply

anonymous

I also have a problem with windows 10 settings. I just installed Amazon Music and under All Settings/Personalization/Taskbar/Select Which Icons Appear On The Taskbar. Every time I start the app, it puts a new Amazon Music: On/Off entry in the list. I now have a total of 10 entries for Amazon Music app. How do you get rid of the duplicates? I only have one icon in the system tray and only one of the 10 entries is showing as on. I like the app, just not the clutter it’s creating in my settings.

• #1945545 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Are you maybe clicking on the install file icon and reinstalling the app each time instead of clicking on the program executable?

• #1945553 Reply

anonymous

I would try running DISM…

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
      • #1945554 Reply

anonymous

No, it created a shortcut on the desktop and I removed the install file to another location in case I would need it later.  I have a friend with Amazon Music and it’s doing the same thing on his PC. I also installed it on my Windows 7 Pro and under the customize settings it is also putting multiple entries. My guess would be that the software is buggy.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problem with Windows Settings | Update & Security

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.