News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problem with Windows Update 2004

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Problem with Windows Update 2004

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        GC
        AskWoody Plus

I decided to apply the update on one of my machine. Thought I’d try it on a 2-month old Dell Optiflex machine..

Turns out that after updating, I had to reinstall a couple of apps. But the problems started when I opened Windows Explorer.

• Windows Explorer would hang after right-clicking any file (run ShellExView to disable any app-specific right-click menus to no avail) and even double-clicking any file would hang Explorer.
        • Since I could not right-click any file, I tried to use the Manage tab in Windows Explorer to run programs as admin, but the option was disabled.
        • Couldn’t run cmd as administrator. If I’d right-click Command Prompt in the windows search bar results and select “Run as administrator”, it wouldn’t open. Would open otherwise.
        • Search service would not be able to start (don’t remember was it used to say in the task manager, something like freezed, then it would try every 10-15 seconds to start again and would hang again)

In a nutshell, it was a nightmare. Since I didn’t have too much time to fool around, I chose to uninstall 2004 through “Reset my pc” and fortunately everything is back to normal.

But can we skip 2004 indefinitely?

• #2299290 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can skip v2004 if you want to. Here are some things to consider:

+ Version 1909 EOL is May 11, 2021 – you will have to upgrade prior to that.
        + V20H2 is due out shortly (Oct ?). It has the same base/core as v2004 and is only a minor upgrade from it.
        + Once v20H2 is released, v2004 will no longer be available through Windows Update or the MS download site.

• #2299352 Reply
        GC
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks so much.

Do you have any clue as to what could explain what I experienced?

• #2299354 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Do you have any clue as to what could explain what I experienced?

Yes. V2004 still has a bunch of problems. We do not recommend installing it at this time. V1909 is stable. Stay with it until v2004 is more stable. Its getting there, but it’s not there yet.

It would be a good idea at this time, though, to use the Media Creation Tool and create an ISO to be used later.

And before you try again, you should make a full disk image of your machine, a file backup of your User data, and bootable media (CD or USB drive) associated with your backup software.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          GC
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problem with Windows Update 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.