News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Problems with new hardware on new Win10 v1909 laptop

Posted on oblivion Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Problems with new hardware on new Win10 v1909 laptop

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        oblivion
        AskWoody Plus

So I’ve bought a new laptop. It arrived with Windows 10 1809, and as I’d already downloaded and created a 1909 thumbdrive, after the initial setup completed, I fast-forwarded to 1909 before doing much else.

It’s a reasonably decent machine: Core-i7, 8Gb (sadly non-expandable) USB-C PD capability, but needing an external hub to connect an external monitor. So I bought one of those too, and deliberately chose one that could deliver enough power to charge the laptop so I could also buy a USB-C power supply (87W) and do everything through the one connection.

And this is where things start getting difficult.

If I start the laptop with the hub already connected, often it fails to notice that the hub exists and I don’t get my peripherals or the external monitor.

If I start the laptop on battery and wait for Windows to stop loading things before plugging the hub in, I stand a better chance of things working as they should but the monitor (in particular) has about a 50/50 chance of not being visible to Windows.

At one point yesterday, I discovered that the laptop was running on battery despite the power unit being on and the hub being connected.

The problem is really that I don’t have any good ideas about how to work out if the problem is the USB port on the laptop (which IS rated for power delivery and all the normal port replication stuff, before you ask) , or the power supply, or the hub.

Or, indeed, if Windows is doing something related to power management that might be causing issues.

I would say that once everything’s working, it will stay that way until shutdown.

I would also say that often, when I plug the hub in, I usually get a little cacophony of “new device found” followed by “device disconnected” noises before, again, things finally settle into a state that will stick indefinitely and which may or may not include all the connected devices being available.

All the devices are within the time within which I can return them to Amazon.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can diagnose this?

Some initial thoughts were hub firmware (only because a Dell hub I used to use at work was problematic until it’d had a Dell-sourced firmware upgrade applied, but I wouldn’t know where to start looking for this device, which is noname, despite being Amazon-recommended and well reviewed) and if I should have gone with a power supply that delivered more than the 87W the hub is rated for, but I’m probably clutching at straws…

• #2277993 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You might start by going to the manufacturer’s website for each of the new external devices (hub, p/s, monitor) to see if there is an updated driver. Have you looked in Device manager to see it there is any indication of problems?

• #2278008 Reply
        oblivion
        AskWoody Plus

Intermittent problems are my least favourite thing.

Whatever isn’t working at any given moment is likely going to stay that way either until a restart or at least until the hub is replugged. Whatever happens, Windows cheerfully believes that it’s doing exactly what it should be — device manager shows nothing, nor does the event viewer in any area I’ve looked.

I have yet to try investigating the hub’s chipset / firmware, but I’m hoping someone might point me at some useful tools for that?

And I don’t really know how to check that the power supply is delivering what it should, but I suspect if it can’t detect something that expects high power, it won’t deliver it, so trying to poke at it with a multimeter probably won’t tell me anything useful either.

Disinclined to return everything on the basis that something must be broken — I have backups of course but the start from scratch and reinstall everything process is time consuming (and my backup software is footprinted so I have to get my registration number unlocked before I can reinstall and I’m beginning to understand the appeal of linux… 😉

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

• #2278024 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Or, indeed, if Windows is doing something related to power management that might be causing issues.

Power management might be turning off the USB connection… Check device manager, usb hub, properties, power management, and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Problems with new hardware on new Win10 v1909 laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.