News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Process of updating from Win10 1803

Posted on dennislwillliams Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Process of updating from Win10 1803

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

dennislwillliams
      AskWoody Plus

In checking for updates, I noticed that I am running Windows 10 Pro v. 1803 from May 2018.

Shouldn’t I have been updated to at least 1809 by now?  I held off on the 1903 update until late July, so now when I’m ready to update, I’m not sure of the procedure.

Should I manually update in sequence? Cumulative 1803 update for x64, then the most current update for 1903?

Thanks.

Dennis

• #1901814 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You can upgrade directly from 1803 to 1903 if you want to do that. You do not have to update in sequence (1809 first).
      But 1903 still has some rough edges, so you might want to upgrade to 1809 first and wait a while before going on to 1903. If you have the Pro version and you set Feature deferrals to 120 days you may be offered 1809. Or you could use the 1809 ISO, if you have one.

• #1902126 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

In checking for updates, I noticed that I am running Windows 10 Pro v. 1803 from May 2018.

Shouldn’t I have been updated to at least 1809 by now?  I held off on the 1903 update until late July, so now when I’m ready to update, I’m not sure of the procedure.

Should I manually update in sequence? Cumulative 1803 update for x64, then the most current update for 1903?

Thanks.

Dennis

It would be a good idea to create install media.

Download Windows 10 ISO File
      http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html
      — The procedure is outlined but it is for 1903.
      In step 6 leave the “Use the recommended options for this PC” checked as the Media Creation Tool will download an ISO that’s the same language, edition, and architecture as your PC.

At a convenient time create a system image backup.
      — Also a separate copy of your own of your data.

Take note of applications such as an office program you want to still have.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #1906694 Reply

anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions, PKCano and  cmtprgy.  I was about to follow them when Fortune intervened.  Last night, the 1809 update appeared for installation, so I installed it, and all is fine, except for my sound, which I was already having some problems with.  Now I can wait for MS to send me the 1903 update.  Again, thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Process of updating from Win10 1803

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.