Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Profiles

Posted on nickyburnell Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Profiles

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  geekdom 1 day, 10 hours ago.

• Author

nickyburnell
      AskWoody Lounger

Had 20 or so private Win 7 machines lose their profile. This is not the usual .bak reg thing, all entries are correct. All seem to be on MSE AV. Some come back after re-start, all the usual chkdsk/sfc/system restore/scans help but some keep doing it.

Common to all: MSE, Intel, Adobe Reader, non on domain.

Anybody else?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #184384 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

This error is currently being seen on Windows 7 systems with April Patch Tuesday updates and one person here has mentioned the same error with MSE update performed in the last few days. I’ve offered a supposition in this thread and at this post:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-this-months-patches/#post-184296

I think Windows update mechanism is corrupting profiles.

Group G{ot backup} Win7|64-bit|SP1

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  geekdom.
    • #185114 Reply

rorymi6
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi all

I have had several customers contact me over the last few days all have W7  and all are using Microsoft essentials Antivirus and all now have had the losing profile issue.

I suspect a bad update

Can anybody recommend their best method to fix this issue ?

I guess a system restore and then remove MS Essentials replacing it with another AV is the best route to take here ?

Any other methods or suggestions grateful ?

thanks in advance

• #185123 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Here is some further information from Bleeping Computer Forum regarding recent Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) update. Your mileage may vary:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/675028/windows-7-suddenly-booting-to-temporary-profile-or-saying-profile-is-locked/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/675082/malware-check-pllease/

• This reply was modified 5 days ago by  geekdom.
    • #185211 Reply

TheSuffering
      AskWoody Lounger

Seeing the same problem here on my 32 and 64 machines, in case of the 32 it logged to a temp profile and restarting brought me back to normal, however my 64 one I had to do a system restore because the profile got completely corrupted.

Some people are saying yesterday’s definition update fixed it, can anybody confirm?

• #185213 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Lounger

I update my MSE daily and have had no problems at all, to date. (Win. 7, 32-bit)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #185221 Reply

TheSuffering
          AskWoody Lounger

The problem at 1st only happened in my 64 machine which is a little beat up so I tought the hardware had finally gotten to a point where it won’t save data properly but today I turned on my 32 machine it sent me to a temp profile like in 64 machine, although in that one a simple reboot sent me to my normal profile.

Both PCs are clean and free of any malware, viruses etc. And like the thread creator both have adobe, mse and intel. Both are still on February patches

• #185239 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

General query:

1. Have you installed Microsoft Security Essentials Engine Version: 1.1.14700.5 released April 4, 2018?
      2. Have you recently installed any other Microsoft updates — Microsoft Security Essentials or other?
      3. When did you start seeing temporary profile in your system?

• This reply was modified 4 days, 9 hours ago by  geekdom.
      • #185275 Reply

TheSuffering
        AskWoody Lounger

In my case for both machines:

1. Yes they both have that version

2. No ms updates since the febuary patches, only mse definition updates

3. In my 64 machine it 1st happened on the 14th then I did the system restore, after that it happened twice but fixed itself after reboot, on my 32 machine it started happening today

• #185250 Reply

anonymous

My Win8.1 64 bit Lenovo Z5070 also lost the user profile after applying the March cumulative update. A message box said that the profile could not be found, and it booted to a black desktop with a task bar, and with no cursor. I used CTL+ALT+DEL to reach a screen where I could tab to a Logoff button. When I rebooted again, it eventually loaded a default desktop that I had never seen before, with a message box saying that I could not access my data. I uninstalled the update and rebooted again. My desktop returned, but with different sized icons arranged randomly of the left hand side of the screen.
      Planning to revert to the system backup that I made before doing the update, when I can raise the enthusiasm.
      Regards,
      RCS

• #185279 Reply

rorymi6
      AskWoody Lounger

ok

Here is what I did to fix the issue on a W7 laptop with Microsoft Essentials which had developed the profile error yesterday.

1. booted into safe mode F8

2. created a new temporary user using netplwiz command as administrator.

3. re booted and entered new account successfully.

4. uninstalled  microsoft essentials Antivirus

5. Edited registry using known work around for a corrupted profile ( .bak fix )

see link for help

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1820762/windows-logs-temporary-profile.html

6. rebooted and entered original account succesfully

7. deleted  new temporary admin account from step 2

8. installed another antivirus for now until microsoft sort out this mess !

hope this helps guys ?

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #185759 Reply

Bill C.
        AskWoody Lounger

Well after my initial report on April 6, I had the loading of profile error again this morning. Again on the first boot after an MSE definitions update. I am going to uninstall MSE.

I was going to reinstall it but wanted to ask first, what AV will you be using? So many are so intrusive, bloated, and/or a major drag on the system (Avast you know your ears are burning).

Thanks.

Tinfoil Hat Time: Maybe MSE is now the Win7 MS attack vehicle of the day. I am seeing and hearing of this profile issue more and more.

• #185764 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

What about Bitdefender Free seems like a good choice in place of MSE for W7. More info and discussion here:

is-avg-still-a-trusted-product?

Some interesting comparison site also.

| 2x Group A- W8.1 | 64bit | | Group W W7/ XP | offline | | Group A+ Linux Hybrid | 64bit |
            No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
        • #185765 Reply

PKCano
          AskWoody MVP

I use Bitdefender Free as will. It is one of the highest rated and seems to but little demand on the resources.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #185871 Reply

Bill C.
            AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano and Microfix: Thanks for the recommendation. BitDefender was the one I was looking at based upon my limited research to date. I will have to read very carefully. One feature I do want is the option to turn it OFF, and to set exclusions, as some of my tools will trigger detections. MSE allows you to set exceptions.

Need to keep this primary Win7Pro machine chugging until the CPU and MB search for the Linux build is resolved in the next week.

I did look at an iMac 27″ last week and I was very tempted, but I keep reading that Apple wants to make MacOS more like iOS. I like iOS (on the iPhone and iPad Pro), but not on a desktop. I feel I am still competent enough to know which one I am using at what time and do not need a seamless interface.

Fruit or Penguins? Time will tell.

This seamless interface concept makes me wonder how I still manage to drive a pickup, the SUV, and the sports coupe, as well as ride a bicycle.

• #185838 Reply

HiFlyer
          AskWoody Lounger

@ Bill C. #185759.

“Tinfoil Hat Time: Maybe MSE is now the Win7 MS attack vehicle of the day.”

Win Def/MSE updates now another tactic of Nutella’s guerilla ops against Win7 holdouts?

“It’s a feature not a bug”

Cue Twilight Zone Theme.

• #185499 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

The temporary profile issue is reported here this morning, April 18, 2018, in BornCity and it seems to affect multiple Windows versions.

“Does Windows Defender in Windows(and Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE) cause user profiles to break and the user to log on with a temporary profile?”
      https://borncity.com/win/2018/04/18/temporary-profile-in-windows-caused-by-windows-defender/

• This reply was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by  geekdom.
      • This reply was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by  geekdom.
      • #185651 Reply

TheSuffering
        AskWoody Lounger

I am glad this also affects Win10. I do feel bad for the people that are experiencing this issue like me but the fact that the error is on multiple versions of Windows should force ms to take action, or at least thats what I hope

• #186038 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

Old: Engine Version: 1.1.14700.5 released April 4, 2018

New: Engine Version: 1.1.14800.3 released April 20, 2018

If the engine version were the problem, a new engine version was just released.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Profiles

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.