News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Protecting Win 7

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Protecting Win 7

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I am using Win 7, and like millions of others I am resisting Win 10. I equally hate, loath and detest Apple, and I’m too old to get up to speed with Linux. Since Win 7 is no longer getting updates I have been wondering about security.

Am I wrong in assuming that most, or all, threats would come from the Internet? I don’t respond to phishing e-mails, don’t download software except from legitimate sites. I do realize that any software, even from legitimate sources, can be infected, but I have Malwarebytes Premium, and Webroot Secure Anywhere running at all times. If I run the Web browser in Sandboxie would that protect me against ransomeware?

David

• #2170730 Reply
        Geo
        AskWoody Lounger

You didn’t mention if you are buying the extended updates.  If not you can also look into installing 0patch for micro critical updates.

• #2170735 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

David:

If you could get ahold of a Windows 8 license, you could upgrade to Windows 8.1, then install Classic Shell, then configure it to make Windows 8.1 to look and feel exactly like Windows 7. Best of all, all of your Windows 7 software would work in that environment.

Doing this would give you three additional years of support from Microsoft.

Look at the sticker on your computer; if you are lucky, it will have a Windows 8 activation key. You are home free if that is the case.

Jim

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2170795 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

If you’re looking to safeguard your Windows 7 system going forward, a few months ago I prepared a guide that may be useful.

You don’t have to apply every measure suggested there, of course. It’s simply a rundown of the sorts of things that you can do for protection.

To answer your question, my understanding of it (which could be wrong, but I do read up on these issues) is that e-mail and malicious advertising are the most frequent vectors for infection. The steps you’re already taking, including Sandboxie, are useful; in addition to these I’d consider using ad blockers on your browsers.

• #2171373 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you all for the information. As I understand the situation home users cannot buy the extended package. However, I don’t click on random advertisements, don’t repond to unexpected e-mails, not even the ones from Nigerian bankers, no matter how tempting the offer. I do have several layers of protection running, but after reading your list of suggestions Cybertooth I’ll add some more. And I’ll switch to using a Standard account, something that has been on my conscience for more years than I care o remember.

David

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2171391 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

And backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

• #2171414 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

As I understand the situation home users cannot buy the extended package.

If by “home users” you mean folks who have Windows 7 Home licenses, you’re correct.

On the other hand, “home users” who have Windows 7 Pro licenses can purchase ESUs.

• #2171385 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

As I understand the situation home users cannot buy the extended package.

You can subscribe to 0Patch for half of Microsoft’s cost, for the same 3 years.

https://0patch.com/

The problem with W7 isn’t just clicking on bad URLs or opening suspicious mail…it hackers that will look for unpatched W7 PCs…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Protecting Win 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.