News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Quality Optional Win. 10 ver 21H1 Updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Quality Optional Win. 10 ver 21H1 Updates

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        leis
        AskWoody Plus

This may be diffy to answer but in optional updates from the point of having installed the version 21H1 and updates are in tact, i plan to go ahead and pause updates to a reasonable time frame and would like to check out the new updates before installing. That would also align most likely to the Defcom settings or on this site, the indicated alert(?).

But are the optional updates necessary. The only update thus far, as ready to install on my computer shows one accumulative KB5003214. Also, i was caught well off by surprise to learn i even had a windows end of cycle or service per my win 10 version Home-one, since purchased a couple-or 3 yrs. ago, I believe and is this ‘it’ or that came with the program where i didn’t have to pay for new download(?). But sorry for the questions, with the main concern today of if it’s optional, is it then not necessary or just scratch the optional updates (generally)?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10 has versions, 1809, 2004, 20H1 etc.
        Windows will upgrade to the latest version at no cost as long as you leave it to do its thing.

Updates effectively come in 2 forms, mandatory and optional.
        Mandatory are things that need to be patched now.
        Optional items are “previews”, drivers and a few others.

Previews are the early release versions of what will become a mandatory patch. We think this is designed to allow more “in field” testing of the patches.

It’s up to you whether you want to install optional updates, but the Windows default is “let Windows decide for you”.

What you should do, regardless of the updates you choose to install, is to backup regularly, preferably just before updates are installed.
        Tasks for the Weekend – February 13, 2021 – Windows backup

cheers, Paul

leis
        AskWoody Plus

Wow Paul, You really have deluxe care into y0ur system to go through that regiment of taking care of it. You see, i didn’t know really anything of the 10 version’s updates that I did of 7 and have followed Woody’s crowd in the same way everyone’s practically migrated from 7 to 10 and i swore not to as it was a lot like saying No to the …       oops      record skipped (not important).

If anything i put my updates on a delay and probably’ll go ahead with the optional update. I’m going to look it over because i trust in what you’re saying too, it’s premier of upcoming what will likely turn to mandatory later (?).

Thanks again for the educational info.!

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Quality Optional Win. 10 ver 21H1 Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.