News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question about a subfolder that File History backs up by default

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Question about a subfolder that File History backs up by default

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

access-mdb 3 months ago.

• Author

BobStr
      AskWoody Plus

When I recently set up File History on my computer I saw that by default it includes for backup a subfolder named “::{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}”, which it shows as being located in C:\Users\< my name >. Googling quickly turned up references to such a folder having something to do with OneDrive.

I don’t have OneDrive set up and don’t plan to use it, at least for now, although I can’t rule out that I may want to use it some time in the future. For now, I’m wondering whether there’s any reason to include that subfolder with the stuff that File History backs up. Oddly or not, when I look in C:\Users\< my name > in File Explorer, the subfolder doesn’t appear, even though I have Folder Options set to show hidden folders. Nor do I see it by using the Add a Folder button in Backup Options. Thus, I can’t tell if the subfolder is really even there or, if it is, how big it is. Also, since I can’t see the thing in File Explorer, it’s not clear to me how, if I removed it from the list, I’d go about getting it back should I ever decide to use OneDrive after all.

Is there any reason to keep that subfolder in the list of things that File History backs up? If I remove it from the File History list, will I need to put it back should I ever decide to use OneDrive, and, if so, how could I go about doing that?

Thanks.

• #538749 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

In Folder Options on the View tab – uncheck “Hide Protected System Files” then “Apply.”

You will want to come back and turn that off after you have looked, because you will see things you really don’t want to see (like desktop.ini files for example)

• #586604 Reply

BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I neglected to check in to the forum the first time I replied, so apologies if my reply appears twice.

In any case, I’d forgotten all about the separate entry for system files. I unchecked it just now and saw that the folder I was wondering about apparently no longer exists. My guess is that it disappeared automatically when I disabled OneDrive, so I’m not worrying about it further.

I re-checked the system files box, of course.

Thanks for your help.

• #538793 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

It’s so long since I set up File History I don’t remember what the defaults were (and I can’t find them either). At the time I wasn’t using OneDrive and I removed it by going to exclude folders and entering it there. I now use OneDrive but I don’t use FH to back it up (though I back up the folder in other ways). I use FH to backup non-OneDrive folders for data which is in constant use and OD can’t back it up (FH seems to have no problem with this). So just exclude the OneDrive folder – I assume it would be C:\Users\< my name\OneDrive- by clicking add and navigating to that folder.

If you decide to start using OneDrive then just remove the entry from excluded folders.

• #586630 Reply

BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll do as you say.

Thanks for the advice.

• #538921 Reply

anonymous

I seem to remember any new folders that appear in the user folder seem to get added to File History automatically and have to be disabled individually using “Exclude these folders”

• #586664 Reply

BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll check for that as I go along.

Thanks.

• #587360 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

I’ve just realised that FH says what folders are backed up by default. They are Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favourites (sorry Favorites). OneDrive folders are normally in a library unless you specifically remove them. However it appears that FH can’t save OneDrive files as they are on a network location – I just checked having found Onedrive in my library (probably put it there myself!).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question about a subfolder that File History backs up by default

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel