• Question about “Previews” in Win10 v1909

Author
    Topic

Sorry if this is too basic, but Woody cautions on installing optional previews.  On the current downloads for August, I see the following

2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 (KB4570723)

But it does appear to be optional.  Am I missing something?  Or is the above preview not what he’s referring to?

Thanks,

Jeff

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

We don’t recommend installing “Preview” updates.
      They are non-Security patches intended for testing of the next month’s Patch Tuesday updates.

I don’t understand why WU is offering me these .NET CU Previews.  I’m not part of any Insider or Preview group.  I don’t get offered any other preview updates.

I’ve tried using wushowhide to hide the preview, but it has no effect.  Why am I getting these things?

I get the preview .net updates also. It’s because we stay on Defcon 2 until just before the next months patches are released so we get the previews instead of the regular .net patches when we hit Defcon 4. So far I haven’t had any problems from them that I know of.

NOTE: I don’t have wushowhide but you should be able to block the previews with it.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
          All W10 Pro at 22H2,(2 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by CADesertRat.

So you’re saying that we get offered the Previews because we haven’t installed the Windows CU from earlier in the month?  I thought the Preview (for .NET) was supposed to be included in next month’s Windows CU.

I just bumped up my systems to 2004 yesterday, and I’m already getting a WU nag for the 2020-09 .NET Preview.  I still don’t understand.

And I’ve used wushowhide on this update several times.  It keeps showing up.

I thought the Preview (for .NET) was supposed to be included in next month’s Windows CU.

The preview comes out at around the 3rd week of the month if I remember correctly. We don’t normally hit Defcon 4 until sometime in the last week before next month’s CU’s hit.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
              All W10 Pro at 22H2,(2 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

I may be wrong but if you have Pro you can block previews using gp edit

Thanks for the reply.  There is a “Manage Preview Builds” item under Windows Update for Business, but that applies to Windows Preview Builds.  .NET Framework previews seem to have their own set of rules.

It’s really strange.  I updated to 2004 yesterday, and right afterwards WU offered me the September .NET Framework CU.  I installed it.  Today I’m being offered the September .NET Framework CU Preview.

Maybe I misunderstood something.  I thought the September CU preview was put out there for testing, and that it would be part of the next month (October) CU.  So there was no point to installing the preview unless you needed to do some testing.

You may very well be right- My setting to block .net previews doesn’t seem to have the desired effect- I have one net preview installed 2x in 3 days!! and I cannot uninstall it. At least I notice the previews are offered as optional lately—I haven’t upped to 2004 yet… heck, I haven’t even been offered this months patch tuesday kb’s yet!

Well, we pay our money for the privilege of being used & abused by gates et al. This site however can provide some relief- there are a few very kind and helpful folks

Good Luck and be safe!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by DriftyDonN.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Question about “Previews” in Win10 v1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: