Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question about this month’s patches (Group A)

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Question about this month’s patches (Group A)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

Group A user here.  I’m just a home user, nothing to really worry about in general as far as multiple machines goes.  I’m just a bit too paranoid for my own good *laughs*

Anyways, I was wondering what the known issues are in regards to this month’s batch of patches for Win7.  Most of the problems I’ve seen seem to have to do with Win10, but I’ve heard very little about Win7, apart from them blocking updates on more recent hardware, and maybe one or two one-off ones about people’s systems locking up (but those seemed to be easily taken care of).  Has anyone here installed the patches, and if so, what issues have you run into after having them installed for a while?

• #109528 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Considering the vulnerabilities reported with Office, it is a good idea to go ahead and install the April Office patches. Also be sure you have the April Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows installed.

EDIT to correct the month to April patch that is needed to be safe.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  PKCano.
      • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  PKCano.
      • #109877 Reply

Navi
        AskWoody Lounger

Oh for the love of…! I thought I was logged in! >.<

I’m the one who asked “Which numbers are those?  I can’t tell anymore.  It also make me think if I’m missing anything else.”

• #109875 Reply

Navi

What numbers are those? I can’t tell anymore. <:( It also make wonder if I missed anything else.

• #109540 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

About a month or two ago, I moved from Group B to Group A on my Windows 7 computer. A few days later, my Canon printer quit working — it says “offline”. However, I can print from my Windows 8.1 computer (also in Group A), as well as both of my Linux computers.

If I reinstall the printer software, I can print once or twice; it’s then back to the printer showing as “offline”.

I don’t know for sure, but my guess is that there is an update that is causing this.

Other than this one thing, I haven’t found any problems either on my Windows 7 computer or on my Windows 8.1 computer. (I rarely use the Windows 7 computer, so perhaps there is a problem I’m not aware of.)

• #109542 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I assume you have downloaded the latest s/w from Cannon. It also sounds like the printer is network attached.
        I have two suggestions:

Try attaching the printer directly with a USB cable. If the printer works repeatedly like that, the software/drivers should be OK. If it doesn’t, you probably have a driver problem.

If the software seems OK (above), try assigning your printer a STATIC IP address on your network instead of using DHCP (arbitrary IP assignment by your router). This is usually done through the menu on the printer itself. One of the things I have found with DHCP is that the printer doesn’t always have the same IP address, so the computer can’t “find” it. It keeps looking where it was. I usually use something like 192.168.1.200, out of the normal range. If you do this, you will have to change the device settings on the other computers, but after that, the printer should always be at the same address.

• #109554 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

I have had the Windows 7 April 2017 updates (including the monthly rollup) installed since April 13, and have had no known problems so far.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  MrBrian.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #109897 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

8.1 fully patched and no issues as well.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1607 (Lumia 735)
    • #110270 Reply

Navi
      AskWoody Lounger

I guess I’ll not update anything, period, because it’s getting too confusing. I’ll keep my eye on the MS-Defcon.

• #110271 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

I’ve tested pretty much all the things I do with Win 8.1 after having installed the April patches, and even put in some testing with the April Preview patches. All’s well here.

Based on my own testing (which is certainly limited) I wouldn’t object if Woody wanted to move the MS-DEFCON level up soon.

-Noel

• #110667 Reply

anonymous

Well, based off this, I went ahead and installed the updates.  So far so good… no issues to report as of yet.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question about this month’s patches (Group A)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.