News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question about Windows 10 free upgrade

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Question about Windows 10 free upgrade

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        znitro
        AskWoody Plus

Dear Friends,

I have upgraded 2 systems using the free upgrade process described elsewhere at this site. So far so good, the system are going well. I believe this method will leave me with a “digital key”. I am curious to know how I would use this in the future. The one scenario I would like to understand is re-imaging one of these system. Usually this would involve re-initialising using the media and re-entering the product key for the machine.

Can someone suggest a methodology for re-imaging a machine upgraded in this fashion. I can restore from an image backup, but this is a snapshot of the machine as it was updated with the users, apps, etc. installed at the time of upgrade. I would like to know if there a method to “blow the machine back to the stone age”

TIA

znitro

znitro

• #2087025 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I believe this method will leave me with a “digital key”.

Your new Windows 10 ‘Digital Key’ is tied to that PC/Motherboard and can’t be transferred to another PC/Motherboard via image restore…This ‘Digital Key’ is not accessible/can’t be reused.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2087065 Reply
        anonymous

It sounds like you want to know how to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the same computer that came with Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10.  I believe if you do clean install and skip key entry, when you go online Microsoft will see that your hardware was previously activated and using Windows 10 and activate you.

If you take photos of your key sticker while it is readable, that can help if it fades or wears off.

• #2087105 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

If you want to do a clean install look at the builtin Reset function. Open Settings. Go to “Update and Security” | Recovery. Click “Get Started” under the “Reset this PC” entry. Or use the Fresh Start function. Open Windows Security. Click on “Device health and performance”. Under “fresh start” click “Additional Information” and then “Get Started”.

--Joe

• #2087958 Reply
        znitro
        AskWoody Plus

Joe, Thanks for your feedback. I have pulled out Ed Bott’s Windows 10 Inside Out from the library and am reviewing the documentation on the backup and restore features.  ALex, thanks for the clarification on the digital key. I will be sure to keep an image backup for each updated system in case of issues, as well as the Windows 7 image and the Windows 7 key.  Nigel

znitro

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question about Windows 10 free upgrade

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel