News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question on Start > All Programs

Posted on blueboy714 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Question on Start > All Programs

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

I have my frequently used programs/apps in the Start menu, but when select “All Programs” why does it only show me a limited number of programs and not all programs that are installed on my PC (i.e. MS Office 2016, Acrobat Adobe, Firefox, Notepad++, etc.)??

Microsoft’s suggestion was go to “”C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs” and create a shortcut to put in the Start menu > All Programs.

What is point of “All Programs” if it doesn’t have All Programs listed in it??  I couldn’t find anywhere in Settings > Personalization when I looked.

Am I missing something here or is this how Windows 10 is supposed to be?

Thanks

• #2285591 Reply
        anonymous

All Programs is not a standard part of the Windows 10 Start menu.

Any shortcuts in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs appear in the alphabetical apps list:

Scroll down the app list to see all apps and programs alphabetically
        See what’s on the Start menu

• #2285599 Reply
        blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

All Programs is not a standard part of the Windows 10 Start menu.

Any shortcuts in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs appear in the alphabetical apps list:

Scroll down the app list to see all apps and programs alphabetically
        See what’s on the Start menu

OK – so anything in the directories:

C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files

will not appear in the Start Menu because they aren’t in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Does anyone know of a handy program available that will look in all 4 places and show what you have installed on your entire PC?

• #2285600 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

To see installed programs:

Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
      • #2285601 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Open Shell Menu (previously Classic Shell)

Stardock Start10.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2285603 Reply
        blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

Open Shell Menu (previously Classic Shell)

Stardock Start10.

PKCano – I am using Classic Menu and still not seeing what is in C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files.  Do I have to change something in “Basic Settings” or “Customize Start Menu”?  I currently just have it on default settings.

• #2285606 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

This is what my Classic Shell looks like. The link above is to the latest version. What shows is on the settings screenshot.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-02-at-3.21.30-PM

Screen-Shot-2020-08-02-at-3.22.30-PM

Attachments:
        • #2285614 Reply
          Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

Often, when installing new software we are asked whether we want to add a listing (icon, folder) for the software in the Start menu. This indicates that the process of adding a listing to the Start menu is not automatic, but needs to be initiated somehow, either by the user or by the installation program.

My guess is that many (if not all) of the programs that you have installed, but are not seeing in the Start menu, neglected to ask you during installation if you wanted them to be listed there. It’s happened to me a number of times. I’ve also missed a checkbox to add the Start menu icon and so ended up with no icon there.

• #2285602 Reply
        anonymous

All of my installed programs show up in the start menu list

• #2286961 Reply
        blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

I found the answer – my  “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu” directory was set as hidden.  As soon as I turned the “hidden” off in the properties everything popped up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2603415/how-to-recover-the-programs-disappeared-from-the-all-programs-of-the-s

This is the first time in years that I have found something useful on Microsoft’s support before I found it documented or solved elsewhere.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by blueboy714.
      • #2289154 Reply
        sb06794
        AskWoody Plus

I use the standard Windows 10 Start Menu and found that:

All the 64-bit Start Menu program links are here:
        C:\Users\-your name-\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

All the 32-bit Start Menu program links are here:
        C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

At the two locations above you can add, delete, or edit the links to your heart’s content.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question on Start > All Programs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.