News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question on Woody's article How to block Win10 November 2019 Update

Posted on blueboy714 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Question on Woody's article How to block Win10 November 2019 Update

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blueboy714 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

blueboy714
      AskWoody Plus

I have a question on Woody’s article “How to block the Windows 10 November 2019 Update, version 1909, from installing” on Computerworld

I have Win10 Home 1903 – in step 4 (for 1904) the graphic shows “Optional updates available” – I have never seen a list of updates available at any time.  The only way I can see what updates are available is not to pause automatic updates or turn off pause and resume them immediately.

I am missing something or do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks – blueboy714

• #1998369 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

If you are missing the section to choose Optional updates, you can do this.

Download wushowhide.diagcab from Microsoft.
      Set your Interned connections to metered.
      Run wushowhide (click “Advanced” and uncheck “automatically make corrections”) and HIDE the updates you don’t want.
      See AKB1000013 about how to clear the Windows Update queue.
      Install the updates.

Don’t click “check for updates” – wait for the computer to search for updates on its own. (May be up to 36 hours)

• #1998384 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

I have Win10 Home 1903 – in step 4 (for 1904) the graphic shows “Optional updates available” – I have never seen a list of updates available at any time. 

You’re missing that Step 4 starts with, “If you’re running Windows 10 version 1903, sooner or later you’ll see a Windows Update notice (Start > Settings > Update & Security) like the one in the screenshot below.” I.E., after version 1909 becomes generally available in about 10 days.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1998507 Reply

blueboy714
      AskWoody Plus

I have Win10 Home 1903 – in step 4 (for 1904) the graphic shows “Optional updates available” – I have never seen a list of updates available at any time. 

You’re missing that Step 4 starts with, “If you’re running Windows 10 version 1903, sooner or later you’ll see a Windows Update notice (Start > Settings > Update & Security) like the one in the screenshot below.” I.E., after version 1909 becomes generally available in about 10 days.

Thanks b –

I bought my Win10 1903 PC a few months and have yet to have any windows updates pop up as available in the Windows Update screen.  But whenever I “resume updates” there are always a couple of updates that install.  I just installed updates Friday when Woody set Defcon to 4 and had a handful of updates installed that were never showing up in the Windows Update screen as available.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question on Woody's article How to block Win10 November 2019 Update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.