News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Question re June Windows Updates Win10 v1909

Posted on scotsman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Question re June Windows Updates Win10 v1909

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        scotsman
        AskWoody Plus

July 2 and 4 I “bit the bullet” and did the updates on my wife’s and my Dell Laptops, 1909 OS. Both were done successfully — Cumulative update KB 4560960 and the Flash Player update — and we had no problem running a printing test on our HP Printer.

Now with no problem with the printer, do we still need to do the Optional Patch KB4567512 mentioned in Susan Bradley’s June 29 report here at “Ask Woody.?”

Thanks.             7/5/20

• #2277812 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you are experiencing no problems, you do not need the OOB Cumulative Update of 6/16/2020. The fixes will be incorporated into the July Patch Tues updates in a little over one week. Unless you have a problem…. wait for it. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277814 Reply
        Cijan
        AskWoody Plus

I’m about to install the June updates (v 1909 Home, Dell laptop) since my update ‘pause’ runs out in a couple of days. I have an old Canon Pixma printer, so I hope it won’t be affected. It seems all the reports seem to be related to HP printers, are there specific things to test for? Or is the problem simply that no printing can be done???
        Thanks!

• #2277815 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

This is just a reminder that we are still on DEFCON-2 (wait to install).

If you have printer problems after you install the June patches, you can download the OOB CU from the MS Catalog and manually install it. It is not available through Windows Update.
          If you don have printer problems, there is no need for the OOB patch. The fixes will be added to the July Patch Tues updates in another week.

• #2277816 Reply
            Cijan
            AskWoody Plus

I do my updates manually based on the master patch list and comments.
            The June 29th master patch list shows the SSU and CU as green/install even tho there is a defcon-2 rating. I’m a bit puzzled by that then.
            My fear is that if I let the July updates install, there will be other ‘unknown’ problems introduced. I have the Home version, so I can only pause updates for a max of 30 days.
            My 30 days are about to run out. If the only drawback is printing issues that can be fixed by Optional Patch KB4567512, wouldn’t it be better to go ahead with KB4560959/SSU, KB4560960/CU, and KB4561600/Flash?

• #2277819 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

If you want to wait to install patches there is a way to cheat Pause and give you more than the maximum of 35 days.

Susan’s Master Patch List is aimed at businesses, where there is an IT department to test the patches (for the printer problem and any others) and have a time constraint for patching according to business guidelines.

Woody’s DEFCON system is aimed at SMBs and Consumers, who do not have the extra equipment with which to test, and have no time constraints. When Woody ups the DEFCON number, he issues instructions for safe patching and information about workarounds if you get in trouble.

Of course, when to patch is the individual User’s choice.

• #2277823 Reply
                Cijan
                AskWoody Plus

Oh right – I forgot about the method for cheating the pause! Thanks for that reminder.
                Re the Flash Player update – is it a good idea to go ahead with that one?

Ok, paused updates using the trick of setting to airplane mode – works great! So I’m now paused until early August, so my immediate concerns are addressed. I would still like to know if the Flash update should be installed, or just wait until the July patches are available?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Cijan.
              • #2277829 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

The DEFCON-2 applies to ALL the June patches. 🙂

• #2277831 Reply
                Cijan
                AskWoody Plus

Ok, thanks. Never mind about me asking in my edited reply – but the airplane mode trick is slick!
                Thanks for the help!

• #2277834 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

When Woody gives the go-ahead, all you need to do is end the Pause (Resume Updates) to get the June patches.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Question re June Windows Updates Win10 v1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.