News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Questions about KB4532693

Posted on kathleen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Questions about KB4532693

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        kathleen
        AskWoody Lounger

So, does anyone have follow up / know where we are at with qualifying this particular security update which caused lots of uneasiness last week with major OS breakdown issues to some, no issues with others, delayed downloading time frames suggested for most. Contributors here suggested more future information to be forthcoming to understand / validate why it’s problematic to some maybe not for all but no word to ultimately still understand / unclear since no follow up has been posted.

To be ” safe ” in the interim due to concern about messing up my new desktop upgrade I was able to uninstall this particular update standing ready to install. Windows 10 v1903 allowed me that settings option as well as I was able to delay the other updates delivered with this until March 20th so hopefully by that point those can be also determined safe. I’m not as qualified as most here but try to stay alert, informed and not jump the gun. Considering the initial alarms / panic ( get it ) it would also be nice to gather continuing resolution as to the story.

• #2153665 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Reasons for failure have not yet been disclosed nor verified; there are, however, known and unresolved problems.

MS-DEFCON 2 remains in place. Wait to patch.

If KB4532693 was installed on your system and you are not having difficulties with user profiles, I would leave the patch in place.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 InUse
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0b10 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by geekdom.
      • #2169373 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

I manually downloaded & installed the KB4532693 update from the MS Catalog site and did not experience any problems with it. Installed it on a Toshiba laptop running Win10 home v1909 and on an old HP computer running Win10 Education v1903 and both check out fine.

But for all others who have not yet installed KB4532693, simply wait a few more weeks until woody gives the go ahead.

• #2169525 Reply
        anonymous

kathleen

Worried mostly ????…not sure is the sky is falling. Or is it ? You know better.

I am naive’ to this forum perhaps bringing another sense of thought stupidity nonsensical tech wise conversation forward. I am cautious not to allow or leap to adherence with updates since yes I dumped my beloved windows 7 this January moving over to the new desktop as noted above. That end of life was a nightmare felt the transition for quite some time. Tug of war. I get this concern. Been there done that trusting MS.

Anyway, wanted to gather information from this trusted site with my original question posted regarding recent updates and what should I do or not do. Obviously security is a concern but not at the risk of loosing your whole platform. What a conundrum.

Purchased an external HD today in order to do the due diligence backup just in case stuff beyond my control hits the fan. Hope that works when push comes to shove when I have to reboot. Got to remember many of us out here do not have the skills or otherwise intel education to troubleshoot with much of the computer speak. We are the minions. But, I am grass roots in an attempt to stay tuned and hopefully maintain. I love my desktop and peripherals. Can I keep them ? As is ?

Sidebar…my other windows 10 v1803 converted with updates to v1903 without issue so I qualified yesterday a few updates ago.

Should I stay or should I go.

• #2169559 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

We are at MS-DEFCON 2 as shown at the top of the page. Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don’t do it.

Wait to patch.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 InUse
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0b10 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2169573 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks for replies.

I see the advisory MS-Defcon 2 currently and for many moons in the rear view all along this watchtower of many years observation concerning patch land. I’m cool, in no immediate rush to update now or always…just questioning if my despair, confusion, oh not again mindset ( and again I uninstalled said problem – delayed all other updates deployed that session until 03-20-20 ) is continued concern or isolated weirdness with others.  Hard to gather on occasion.  kathleen

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Questions about KB4532693

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.