News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Questions re purchasing a Win 10 OEM license

Posted on Highsierra46 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Questions re purchasing a Win 10 OEM license

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

OK, I want to upgrade a PC from 7 to 10. Been looking at Various places. It seems that Win 10 now comes as either 32 bit or 64 bit. I thought is used to come with both versions.

I plan to download the latest from Microsoft instead of using the supplied media.

My question is, “will the license code that comes with my purchase work on either 32 or 64 bit install?”

I’m not sure if the PC is 32 or 64 and it’s at a remote location.

• #2300083 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can still do a free in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win10 by downloading from the Microsoft download center. Using the in-place upgrade gives you three choices: save your apps and data, save only your data, or save nothing (a clean install). If you use this, the install should give you the same bitedness (32 or 64 bit) and Edition (Home or Pro) that you currently have and automatically activate using the current license on your PC. It will install the current latest version which is now Win10 v2004.

Another option is to download an ISO of the version you want to install from Heidoc.net. This will allow you to choose the version you want to install. It install will basically work the same as above if you choose to do an upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

• #2300089 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

WOW. I didn’t think that was still available.

• #2300090 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

Do you need to have a Microsoft account?

• #2300094 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

No. The trick is to do the upgrade OFFLINE so you can create a LOCAL account and set up Windows Update. If you do the install online, it will force you to create an MS account. There are lots of instructions already on the site about doing the in-place upgrade – do a search. Or look under the Win7 Forums.

Let us know here if you need help.

• #2303253 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

No. The trick is to do the upgrade OFFLINE so you can create a LOCAL account and set up Windows Update. If you do the install online, it will force you to create an MS account. There are lots of instructions already on the site about doing the in-place upgrade – do a search. Or look under the Win7 Forums.

Let us know here if you need help.

Is this necessary when upgrading? This Win 7 PC has a local account. Won’t Win 10 just use that?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Highsierra46.
        • #2303255 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

If you upgrade online, it will upgrade you during the installation to the latest version (v2004, soon to be 20H2).

Another option is to download an ISO of the version you want to install from Heidoc.net. This will allow you to choose the version you want to install. The install will basically work the same as above if you choose to do an upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

• #2304468 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

OK, upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 10 Home was successful. I did the update without internet connection, then connected. Windows 10 is activated.

• #2304472 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

What version of 10 is installed? Win R, winver, Enter

cheers, Paul

• #2304482 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

What version of 10 is installed? Win R, winver, Enter

cheers, Paul

2004 build 19041.508

• #2304484 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I assume you downloaded the 2004 version for the upgrade as that is what you now have, or did you use the MCT from Microsoft?

The reason we suggest doing it offline is to prevent 2004 being installed.

cheers, Paul

• #2304485 Reply
        Highsierra46
        AskWoody Plus

I used the Microsoft tool. I was hoping to get the latest version.

I have had no issues with 2004 on my personal desktop. 19041-572. I’ve been running it since it became available.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Questions re purchasing a Win 10 OEM license

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.