News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • QuickBooks Online Versus FreshBooks

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function QuickBooks Online Versus FreshBooks

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I do some IT consulting for a weather company that I invoice once a month. I’m currently using QuickBooks Online Simple Start to handle my invoicing. Overall everything works well for it with my needs, so I don’t have to make any drastic transitions to another platform. The only issue I really have with QuickBooks Online is there have been a couple of price increases, and I’m now paying $20/month for it. The price still isn’t bad, but I’m wondering if I could save a little money per month with a different solution, plus QuickBooks is slowly implementing more limits on plans (so far nothing that directly affects me), so it seems they’re wanting to slowly squeeze customers onto paying more and more for QuickBooks.

I’ve looked over the FreshBooks website, and they have a Lite plan that’s $15/month, or a little over $13/month if I go on an annual plan. It would allow me to still handle the invoicing for the weather company I do IT consulting for. The other features I have in QuickBooks Online that I like are: QuickBooks Payments (which they seem to offer a version of with FreshBooks), plus I also use QuickBooks Online for tracking my personal finance transactions across accounts. It seems FreshBooks supports this as well (as well as all of the banks I use), although I could migrate these to a separate personal finance management solution. I also use the QuickBooks Mobile app, which FreshBooks offers, and there is a way to do some importing from QuickBooks into FreshBooks, or I could “start clean” and just archive my QuickBooks data elsewhere.

My question is: Should I take a trial of FreshBooks and see what I think (maybe later this year so if I did switch I could switch around the first of the year), or am I better off remaining with QuickBooks Online? I’m curious as to who has used both and their thoughts. Again, other than the price increases and the fact that it feels like QuickBooks wants to keep squeezing customers onto larger plans, I’m pleased with the functionality overall and have no main feature/service complaints. I’m mainly wondering if the cost savings per month or per year would be worth examining other options.

Nathan Parker

• #1745712 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Nathan, is there a reason you are “limiting yourself” to one of two products?

Have you heard of Wave? They have a FREE accounting software platform, where you pay for payroll and certain merchant payment charges, should you choose to use them:

What’s the catch? How does Wave make money?

Wave makes money from financial services that make running your business faster. We offer payroll services in Canada and the U.S. at a super affordable price. We also allow businesses to accept payments online so you can get invoices paid faster; we charge a competitive 2.9% + 30¢ fee to process credit cards, and 1% for bank payments (where available).

You might like to check them out:
      https://www.waveapps.com/accounting/
      https://www.waveapps.com/pricing
      (do check the correct flag is showing, so it gives you the correct offers and pricing)
      🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1745718 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info! I can definitely broaden my scope. I was mainly comparing FreshBooks at first since it looked like the closest thing I was using to QuickBooks, but I’m definitely willing to look at other options.

I’ll definitely look into Wave. I was a little leery about totally free services since I didn’t know if there were any major catches (limited support or advertising), but it seems like Wave doesn’t run ads on free stuff, plus they do offer email support for free stuff (which is enough for me). I can definitely give it a look and email them for more info as well (if anyone has any additional info to share about it, feel free to). It seems like for the most part I’d be able to get by on the free stuff and just have to pay for payments transactions.

Nathan Parker

• #1746921 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

There’s also SAGE or SAGE 50 that used to be Peachtree Accounting.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Berton.
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Berton.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1746989 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks! I’ll look into that as well and compare.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: QuickBooks Online Versus FreshBooks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.