News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Quicken and Win 10 Pro 64 Bit V 1909

Posted on Thompson_DK Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Quicken and Win 10 Pro 64 Bit V 1909

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Thompson_DK
        AskWoody Plus

I recently applied the Quicken patch (year 2020; version R25.21; Build 27.1.25.21) on my WIN 10 Pro 64 Bit V 1909 (10.0.18362.62). Now Quicken passwords and individual transactions (checking, savings, etc) have disappeared. Typing info in the WIN10 search box is very slow. I have rebooted, deleted and reinstalled Quicken, rebooted – still have issues with Quicken, typing now seems OK  Has anyone else seen this Quicken – WIN 10 problem? If yes, any suggestions to fix it? PS – I reloaded Quicken and a working back up data file onto my WIN 7 pc and its works perfectly. Glad I can still use WIN 7

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2209518 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I don’t see any confirming reports, but this sounds very specific.

Let’s see if anybody else can confirm.

• #2209520 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

WIN 10 Pro 64 Bit V 1909 (10.0.18362.62

Do you mean 18363.628 (which was Jan. 1909 patches) ?

My girlfriend has an older version of Quicken, 2004 I believe and it is working ok on W10 1909 18363.657 (Feb patches).

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2255856 Reply
          Chris B
          AskWoody Plus

Quicken 2002 is on my system (Win10 64 bit 1909) and working fine. File size is 31.5 MB and counting.

Chris
          Win 10 Pro x64 Group A

• #2209534 Reply
        Thompson_DK
        AskWoody Plus

Clarification: My system is 10.0.18363.657 per windows specification details

• #2209557 Reply
        anonymous

Win 10 updates have a special program on installation that rids your computer of programs and files it doesn’t feel are necessary. There is independent software out there that will find and restor the files, but not the programs or preferences. Getting things organized again in folders is not always successful. We used EASEU

• #2211380 Reply
        Thompson_DK
        AskWoody Plus

The problem on my PC lies within some feature built into Windows Defender Antivirus Security. When I turn WDAS off and reintall Quicken and Legacy (a genealogy program), both programs work as expected. When I turn WDAS back on, the programs have error messages and do not work. When I turn WDAS back off, the programs work. I can see the impact simply by turning WDAS on and off.

My solution: do not use WDAS but reinstall / use Norton Security for my antivirus and firewall protection.

Hope this helps someone else

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2211399 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

From your “fix” then, I have to assume that the older versions of Quicken are more stable with WD. Evidently the newer Quicken version has some problems with compatibility.

Thanks for posting back

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2211442 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

I have had no issues but as microsoft cannot ‘patch’ the OS properly I am not surprised they cannot handle security programs either.

win10 Pro ver 1909 bld18363.657

quicken r25.21 bld 27.1.25.21

Bitdefender total security 2020

DriftyDonN

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2255901 Reply
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

I have been using Quicken for years.  Periodically I have researched alternative financial tracking software, but nothing seems to offer anything close to what Quicken does.

I don’t know if this matters or not, but I keep all of my Quicken data files in a VeraCrypt file container.  I suspect that might isolate them somewhat, as most of the time these files are not loaded.  I have a WIN 10 Pro machine, with the March 1909 updates installed.  I am using both WD and Malwarebytes Premium (sorry Susan) for malware protection. My Quicken version is 2020 R 2617.  I have not experienced the misfortune you have had.

My only real complaint is periodically, one of about 10 different accounts I have set up for transaction download fails to do so.  Sometimes the error fixes itself in a day or two.  More frequently, I need to disconnect the account and then set it up again.  The issue here is frequently, the software will then download 6 months worth of transactions that have already been entered into the register.  It takes a while to delete them all.  Annoying.

Casey H.

• #2258168 Reply
        anonymous

I am guessing you may have gone into windows defender ransomware protection feature which will definitely mess with quicken and more.  I did this and found out quickly that I needed to undo the ransomeware aspect of windows defender.  I use Quicken 2020 with current updates and have used quicken since version 2 on floppy disks.

By installing Norton, it would have disabled windows defender thus making Quicken work again.  Possibly this is the issue –

RanMan

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Quicken and Win 10 Pro 64 Bit V 1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.