News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Rakuten.com Ceasing US Operations

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer Rakuten.com Ceasing US Operations

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author

Just got the email from them. Jeff Bezo’s only serious contender in the US online market is ceasing operations here a/0 9/15:

https://support.rakuten.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047189271#xd_co_f=OWI1YTAwNjQtNzA3MS00ZjlmLWFiNjUtOGY5YjdiMGZiYzAy~

Bloody shame, I used them a lot simply because I didn’t want to use Amazon, for several reasons. Well, if Brooks Bros. can go under, anything’s possible.

(…and the Pandemic has made Mr. Bezos $30-odd million richer. Chump change for him, I guess.)

So long Rakuten, we hardly knew ye…

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least four legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2288289 Reply
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

Interesting.  I had never heard of Rakuten before, but discover that there is a rakuten.co.uk website.  Perhaps their name was too close to ‘racket’ for it to catch on?  But, then again, Amazon caught on!

BATcher

Ascetics go without, mystics go within.

• #2288334 Reply
        anonymous

They’ve been around for years, along with a number of similar portals, marketplaces, whatever.  A while back Rakuten ran TV ads with a purple cash vending machine that threw money at anyone who could pronounce their name correctly.  Yeah, they really did.

Everyone’s a portal these days and few seem to work correctly, especially their searches, Amazon’s is badly broken, Newegg’s a gordian knot!  Add contrived tech gibberish to links that take you on a never ending journey through the online universe of sites selling ads for ads for ads just to buy a pair of socks, it’s no wonder “I’ll just Amazon it” and “I ebay my tea” are common phrases.  Amazon’s a verb?

As the Cockroach King quipped when the Amazon exterminator arrived “Plenty more where that came from.”

• #2288362 Reply
          Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

Some years ago, all of a sudden I started getting email ads from Rakuten.com. I’d never heard of them and the look and content of the ads seemed sketchy. Add the strange name to the mix, and I was sure that my address had been sold to a spammer, or that some online account had been hacked.

Turned out that Rakuten had purchased the Kobo line of e-book readers, one of which I’d purchased from Borders some time before. But there was never an explanation from Rakuten that this is what happened, no “Welcome Borders customers!” announcement or anything of the sort to inform the people receiving their email circulars. I discovered this by chance a couple of years later, but by then I had long since put Rakuten on my blocked addresses list.

• #2288414 Reply
        SueW
        AskWoody Plus

Very interesting indeed.  If you remember Buy.com from when dotcoms started, it was a popular shopping site.  I only found out later, when I went to access the website, that it had ‘morphed’ into Rakuten.com, having been purchased by Rakuten (Japan).  I thought “what an odd name” and I never used it after that (though I hadn’t used it very much to begin with).

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Rakuten.com Ceasing US Operations

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.