News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Steven Dietz
        AskWoody Lounger

Posting here, hoping I get better suggestions than the usual pablum from Support.Microsoft. Been in IT since 85.  I know how to parse mini- and full dumps. (Have been suffering/enjoying MS since MSDOS 2.1 through current W10.) So suffice to I am not a newbie.
        Let me first say, I have done all the usual recommendations. Update to latest drivers, Memtest, Windows Update… Memtest shows no errors (even when run multiple times),  SFC shows no errors, same with CHKDSK.

Device:  HP Pavilion 15-CS2xxx series I-7-8565U, 24Gb RAM, 4Gb NVidia, 480Gb SSD. There were no hardware/software changes prior to this starting other than Windows and Office updates.

Scenario: Windows version is now 20H2, updated from 1903. I am getting random BSODs which happen only when coming out of sleep. I do not use Hibernation, only Hybrid sleep. The latest is a 0x01a PTE Memory Management error according to Parameter 1 and 2. Prior errors have been 0x12b, 0x3b, and c1.

This has happened since 20H2 update. At first, I thought it was the NVidia driver, and updated to latest for the MX250. It disappeared and has since reappeared recently.

The only statement I can make as to consistency is it happens if I have not restarted/shutdown and used Sleep mode more than five times. It then happens sometime later coming out of sleep.  Otherwise, if I shutdown once a day, there is no issue.

It also does not happen if I just disable sleep and hibernation. As stated, only coming out of sleep mode.  The simple answer is to not use Sleep, but would prefer to not go that route.

Any ideas gladly accepted.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Disabling Fast Startup may fix your system’s BSOD.

How To Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10

Fast Startup is a Windows 10 feature designed to reduce the time it takes for the computer to boot up from being fully shut down. However, it prevents the computer from performing a regular shutdown and can cause compatibility issues with devices that do not support sleep mode or hibernation..

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Steven Dietz
        AskWoody Lounger

Disabling Fast Startup may fix your system’s BSOD.

How To Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10

Fast Startup is a Windows 10 feature designed to reduce the time it takes for the computer to boot up from being fully shut down. However, it prevents the computer from performing a regular shutdown and can cause compatibility issues with devices that do not support sleep mode or hibernation..

Thanks for this.

A duh on my part and it makes sense. I have an older Core 2Duo CF-19 Toughbook  running W10 1909, (Don’t ask me how, an entirely different adventure) that I stopped Fast Start as it would freeze on occasion. Not a BSOD. But the pointers to me was Fast Start.

Will try that for the next few weeks.

SD

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I have disabled hibernation (and fast start) and have no problems with sleep. Since running a SSD based system, booting is so fast that hibernation is redundant for me!

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Hibernation is great for returning to the last place without having to reload everything. I use it all the time on my machines and never have issues with it.

cheers, Paul

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Hibernation is great for returning to the last place without having to reload everything. I use it all the time on my machines and never have issues with it.

cheers, Paul

Same thing that sleep does, but with some minor power consumption to hold current machine state in RAM.

anonymous

cheers, Paul

The issue is this is my work computer and have found Hibernate and redundant for what I do. Opening and closing to Sleep multiple times a day. Sleep is far more convenient and much faster than hibernate, especially on an SSD. I did use Hibernate for decades. Yes decades. But with W10, hybrid sleep has become the answer for me and is not really a battery drain.

Thus far after turning off fast start, I have used normal boot. Not really much impact with an SSD, and No BSOD after 10 sleep/awake instances. I will continue to hope this is the cause. It is an annoyance to have a BSOD. AND Hibernate would not necessarily save me either from lost work in a BSOD instance

Thanks

Steven Dietz
        AskWoody Lounger

cheers, Paul

Same thing that sleep does, but with some minor power consumption to hold current machine state in RAM.

There are three reasons I do not use Hibernate any longer. Two of them are related.

1. I have been in I.T. since 85 and in IT Security of one type or another since 94. When I was doing Forensic computing, the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys was one of the first things I would utilize for a forensic investigation of an individual. This includes re-creation of a computing state of use as well as personal details such as cached password (Hashed or otherwise), messaging content thought to be deleted, and more than you can imagine.
        2. I know of two events where a corporate intrusion occurred due to a lost notebook with sensitive information which was compromised using data from a hibernation file.
        3. True, Battery life is consumed. But, since I am not no longer using Ni-Cad or Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, it is not an issue for me. I did battery consumption testing of Sleep back when Lithium first came on the market for notebook batteries. And unless I was going to leave the computer in sleep state for days. It would have negligible impact.

I have also  done sleep vs hibernate vs fast start hybrid sleep on SSD and platter HD. Just do not get me started there. Validation of SSD vs platter HD was something I did when Hybrid SSD/HD were released. I can refer to my notes, but give me sleep state vs HD any day.

Thanks

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I know of two events where a corporate intrusion occurred due to a lost notebook with sensitive information which was compromised using data from a hibernation file.

Notebooks should have full disk encryption as the default IMO (use Bitlocker on Windows Pro or Veracrypt on Windows Home). Once that is done hibernation is great.

cheers, Paul

Steven Dietz
        AskWoody Lounger

I know of two events where a corporate intrusion occurred due to a lost notebook with sensitive information which was compromised using data from a hibernation file.

Notebooks should have full disk encryption as the default IMO (use Bitlocker on Windows Pro or Veracrypt on Windows Home). Once that is done hibernation is great.

cheers, Paul

Unfortunately, corporates do not always utilize the tools that may assist them to secure their environments. In the instance of the two corps. they did not consider IT Security a thing to worry about needlessly. Indeed Bitlocker can be deployed in an enterprise manner. I know of a number of Fortune 500s that have utilized Bitlocker BDE. Many other companies utilize alternate solutions such as Symantec Endpoint Protection or McAfee’s solution through their enterprise management such as McAfee MVision ePO.

Veracrypt on the other hand is a individualized deployment. It does not lend itself well to enterprise deployment. That is the real issue for Veracrypt for a company’s use. Think of trying to manage ten Veracrypt individual deployments and support, Not so hard, but think of 100 or  more, not so easy. 1000 nearly impossible.

And unfortunately, if Bitlocker is not available for the home uses using Windows 10 Home. And if not deployed correctly in an individual deployment, it can be compromised.  I have opened a Bitlocker drive a number of ways. And the stupidest was the Bitlocker Key taped to the bottom of user’s notebook.

I could go into more detail, but my post was about Random BSOD on W10 20H2. Since the initial suggestion of disabling Fast Start, I have not had a BSOD. SO  I would state, that recommendation was the accurate suggestion.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Random BSOD coming out of Sleep Windows 20H2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.