News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Rapid deterioration in Win 10

Posted on globalist Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Rapid deterioration in Win 10

Viewing 18 reply threads
    • Author
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

I have a fully-equipped all-SS Dell desktop I purchased a year ago.  The OS version was updated to the “new” spring release a month ago, and the pc has never been the same.  It deteriorates over time until I absolutely have to do a re-boot, after which it works well for 1/2 to 3 days.  Even accessing OneDrive files and using Microsoft 360 becomes a sloggish nightmare.  At times the printer connection needs to be renewed.  I do not see the same problems on my two old hp pcs (about 4-5 and 9 years old), which are equipped with the same Win 10 and Microsoft 360 software.

Any ideas?

• #2307029 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Are you able to see the machine performance via Task Manager? This will allow you to see what resources Windows uses and may help troubleshoot the issue.

Right click on the task bar.
        Select Task Manager.
        On the Processes tab, check the column headings for % use.
        Go to the Performance tab for a nice graphical view. From here you can open Resource Monitor (at the bottom) if required.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2307279 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been watching the task manager – a bit of fun.

I’ve seen nothing irregular, except that the Wi-Fi pane shows a lot of activity and – to the best of my knowledge – nothing is connected to this pc via wireless.

Today I have not had problems with excessive waiting, except that at times Word and Excel time out waiting for a response to my trying to do something with active files (which, in these cases, were One-Drive files also kept on this device).

I also have had several instances where the printer becomes invisible.  Sometimes restarting it fixes the problem for a few minutes.

For about a year after receiving this pc (Dell Precision 3630) it has performed flawlessly and beautifully.  The last few weeks have been an abomination.

• #2307310 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

How do Word / Excel “time out”?

Let us know What TM shows when the machine stalls.

cheers, Paul

• #2307345 Reply
        Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

Have you already run Dell’s hardware diagnostics to see if all its check boxes are ‘green’? If it was my machine I’d feel like I’d want to check that – although based on your post I’d surmise it’s a Windows morass of some sort.

Finance, social and tech founder. Co-founder of a global, gamified, crowd-sourced ESG advertising platform, and managing director of new crowd sourced games, both in pre-release development. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

• #2307392 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

The programs timeout by saying they are waiting for a response, e.g., when I am trying to retrieve something from or store something to my OneDrive memory; also sometimes when I am starting one of the Office programs.  They say they are waiting for quite some time, then give up (cannot …), then all of a sudden the anticipated “connection” is made and then it  springs to life again.  The other place is in losing (local network) connection to the printer/copier/fax machine.

I have run the Dell SupportAssist – about two weeks ago and again today.  No indications of issues.

• #2307397 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Sounds like you have a network connection issue.

Is it a wired or wireless connection?
        Have you checked / rebooted your router?

cheers, Paul

• #2307521 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

It is a wired connection and, yes, I rebooted the router as, at one point, it dropped my internet connection.  [The router is made by Arris and “comes with” my Optimum triple-play service.]  The problem had been in effect for at least two weeks before the modem issue, and it has been still in effect for at least several days since the reboot.

• #2307588 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Keep an eye on Task Manager when it stalls, particularly the network throughput and let us know.

cheers, Paul

• #2307839 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Attached is a task manager snapshot taken at a time when I have initiated no activity.  The Wi-Fi seems to be always active, even though I am not aware of any wi-fi links necessary for pc usage.

Attachments:
      • #2307862 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That is a lot of network activity for no apparent reason. I get virtually zero unless I’m actively using something that requires access.
        Fire up Resource Monitor to see what processes are using the network.

cheers, Paul

• #2307943 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Attachment

Screenshot-2020-10-29-132608

Attachments:
      • #2308421 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Seems you are streaming something and the use is not particularly high network use for that.

The hard memory faults are an issue.
        That causes memory swapping to disk and you would expect some activity, but you have a flat line, so something is amiss.
        What is using 10GB of RAM? Can you close it to see if that affects your performance.

cheers, Paul

• #2308513 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

I did a complete reboot (from a powered-down modem & router) and things seem somewhat better – still checking.

But I don’t understand the blue lines (see recent file attached) – or, for that matter, the small green lines (bips) in the memory plot.  My memory is only solid state (no hard disk) – 1 TB.

Attachments:
      • #2308575 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Sorry, the hard memory faults blue line is not actually relevant – it seems to be a smaller scale version of the actual use, maybe to allow a more detailed view.

I’d still be looking at what is using loads of RAM and try closing that to see if it helps.

cheers, Paul

• #2308814 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

Attached is an updated resource monitor after I was caught into doing the early-October updates (I usually wait a bit longer).  “Things” seem to work better, although I still lose my printer connection.

I do not understand why my ss drive would have errors like indicated.  Does anything else look strange to you?

I also had occasion today to try some on-line videos of church services (church website, you-tube, and facetime) and, for quite some time the latest video (ONLY) would not play – just a screen with one black and one white block would display, along with the vibrating circle to show attempted download capability.  Then it does work all of a sudden.  Crazy, eh.

Attachments:
      • #2309324 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I can’t see any disk errors in that pic.

Can you shutdown some of the things you don’t need whilst you test?
        Maybe close some Edge tabs?

cheers, Paul

• #2312164 Reply
        globalist
        AskWoody Plus

So…

After two weeks usage and installation of the October updates and spring major update:

• performance is better
        • I still lose my printer network connection, but not as often
        • I have difficulty getting log-in access after a reboot on the two older of my three pcs
        • my Windows 360 Outlook and Word 360 freeze up and require rebooting every couple of days on the major desktop.  Every open Word file then needs to be updated (synced with the file in One-Drive).
        • The systems, which worked beautifully a few months ago, is now unpredictable.

Maybe that’s the best Microsoft can do.

• #2312184 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Try a fresh install. It may be something you installed recently.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 18 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Rapid deterioration in Win 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.