News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Re-install Microsoft Store and Photos

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Re-install Microsoft Store and Photos

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro – Version 20H2, build 19042.964.

Through my own futzing around, I have disabled Microsoft Store and also Photos, and am looking for a way to restore their functionality.

I have tried a number of options, mainly downloading the EAPPXBundle file for the Store, but it doesn’t work.  If I click on the Store, there is a very transitory window border, but nothing launches.  Ditto with Photos.

Would it help to re-install the Windows 10 OS?  I have downloaded an ISO of Win 10 20H2 on to a USB drive, but thought that I would post here before running the re-instal and possibly making things worse.  Is an OS re-instal going to achieve the desired result?

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

b
        AskWoody MVP

Try How to Re-register Microsoft Store app in Windows 10

and the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter at Settings, Update & Security, Troubleshooting, Additional troubleshooters, Windows Store Apps.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

I think you have to re-install/repair Windows in order to get the Store back.

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

B – thanks, neither of those worked.

The troubleshooter returned “Unresponsive or crashing apps”.  The re-registration command ran, but launching the Store still gives a transient outline of an app window.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Try Susan’s “reinstall over the top” fix.

cheers, Paul

anonymous
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

B, Alex and Paul T – thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, the extent of my screw-up was such that the in-place / over-the-top re-install did not solve the problem.  Fortunately, I had taken weekly Macrium Reflect differential images, and recalled that the Store had been there in the second half of April.  At the second attempt, I had a good restore, from my 18 April image.  I had a few files to recover in the three-week interim, and am more or less back to where I wanted to be.

Score one for Macrium Reflect!

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Re-install Microsoft Store and Photos

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.