News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Read It Later App with Categories

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Read It Later App with Categories

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve been using the Reading List feature in Safari to save articles I need to read later, as well as videos I need to watch, shopping items, etc.

It’s working well across my Mac, iPhone, and iPad syncing with iCloud.

However, my main issue with it is I cannot group similar items in the list together by categories. Everything is one long scrolling list I have to scroll through.

Additionally, it’s also locked to Safari (although I heavily use Safari, so that’s not a major of an issue).

Is there another “read it later” service that offers the ability for me to assign categories to items or group items into categories? I saw Pocket and Instapaper on the App Store but wasn’t sure if they did it.

Any service I’d use, I’d want a free service since my casual use of it isn’t enough to warrant another subscription.

I don’t want to go the bookmark/favorites route since bookmarks/favorites are more for websites I access frequently and permanently, not links I need to review later then toss.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #1952036 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Edge Insider (Canary/Dev) has Collections (without an extra service):

Hands on: Microsoft Edge browser beta for Mac gains Collections research tool

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/20/collections-now-available-microsoft-edge-preview/

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1952097 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan,

I am not sure of the way the “Read Later” feature you are interested in works, so what I am about to write might be irrelevant. It is the OscarCP DIY approach to saving articles for later reading.

What I do is:

(a) Save the whole page (or just the html part, depending of what works best in a given case), if I want to be able to use its links as well as read the text. Or:

(b) Print/save the page as PDF. Or:

(c) In the browser’s Edit menu, click “Select All”, then copy and paste the selected text on a new Text file, or select portions of it by hand, leaving out any pictures or other material that cannot be pasted onto a Text file. Or else try pasting the whole thing onto a new Word file. Either way, I then save the file (Command+S), giving it a name that makes clear what it is about.

(d) Whatever of the previous options I choose (and some of them might not work out in a particular case), once that is done I move the material just created ad saved to a folder called “for later reading”, or words to that effect. I find it helpful to sort the material in the folder by “kind”. If I needed to sort by topic, I would create several sub-folders with the names of the main categories by which I expect to sort the articles.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1952248 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Microsoft Edge Insider (Canary/Dev) has Collections (without an extra service):

Sounds good. I’ll either beta test Edge on my older Mac, or when it comes out of beta, I’ll give it a try.

Nathan Parker

• #1952249 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I am not sure of the way the “Read Later” feature you are interested in works, so what I am about to write might be irrelevant. It is the OscarCP DIY approach to saving articles for later reading.

I do this as well, especially for research. In my case, what I’m looking for is something similar to Safari’s Reading List where I can with one-click save an article and have it sync across all of my devices, but instead of one long list in Safari, I want the ability to group articles by categories. That way I can make it easier to group what I’m shopping for with what I need to read, videos I need to watch, etc.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Read It Later App with Categories

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.