News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Ready to start with a Chromebook? Use your knowledge of Windows to get a head start.

Home Forums AskWoody blog Ready to start with a Chromebook? Use your knowledge of Windows to get a head start.

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

I’m very happy to say that @PKCano has successfully transferred JR Raphael’s series of Newsletter articles into a unified post, AskWoody Knowledge Bas
        [See the full post at: Ready to start with a Chromebook? Use your knowledge of Windows to get a head start.]

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2174570 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

If you’re tired of Windows and its incessant problems — and don’t mind Google keeping track of your every move, which they do — the Chromebook is an excellent choice.

I’m not tired of Windows, I have had no incessant problems, and I very much mind Google keeping track of my every move like I know they do.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2174578 Reply
        The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Plus

My chromebook lives on the kitchen table and it’s never shut down. I don’t use a smart phone, so it’s my go-to for information – weather, traffic update, directions, local news – when I haven’t got time to leave the stove and the sink to get to the computer. That is, as long as I can lever my granddaughter off the Roblox app! To date it has proved amazingly obliging and resilient. I’m not that bothered about telemetry.

• #2175021 Reply
          rc primak
          AskWoody_MVP

To those for whom a Chromebook is a good fit, it’s very good indeed. Totally unmodified.

For many of  us who usually hang around here in the AskWoody forums, Chromebook at the end of the day is simply not a good enough fit. So like some others, I have modified my Chromebook to accept Linux. Eventually, due to Google’s insanely short EOL rules, mine will become Linux-only.

-- rc primak

• #2174726 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

and don’t mind Google keeping track of your every move, which they do

Woody, your honesty is very refreshing.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2175017 Reply
        rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

My Chromebook now runs Fedora Linux. Exclusively. Xfce desktop environment, to save resources. This is an Intel-based Chromebook with enough internal storage to run a full OS. My next project when the official Chromebook ChromeOS reaches EOL — remove the physical write-protect screw and replace the firmware ROM completely, making this a Linux notebook PC.

-- rc primak

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Ready to start with a Chromebook? Use your knowledge of Windows to get a head start.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.