News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • realtek update???

Posted on Philomene123 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 realtek update???

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Philomene123
      AskWoody Plus

Hi there! question for you! I am on the w1809 version, and was proposed that update today:

Realtek – Net – 4/10/2015 12:00:00 AM – 9.1.410.2015

I appreciate to have more infos about it. Is it risky to install it? This old Asus ROG is my main laptop, since the Macbook pro has a recall right now for defective battery, and I prefer not use it anymore, since it overheats a lot.

That old ROG g74 sx runs perfectly for now… thanks for your help!

(I defered the upgrade for now, because the cpu is sandy bridge and I heard about incompatibility  with the 1903 version…)

• #1856600 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I prefer the “do nothing” option for driver updates. If your machine is working there is no reason to update drivers, just make sure you have an up to date image backup.

cheers, Paul

• #1856685 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

The only potential issue with this is, sometimes the “if your machine is working” is hard to determine accurately.

Power/heat and battery management drivers on laptops are like that, for example – problems are often apparent only after prolonged use…

• #1857069 Reply

anonymous

An order for updating driver is this:

• Computer manufacturer, maybe they update them after hardware goes on sale.
      • Hardware component manufacturer (if they have a site) after researching of specific model, details available when using Device Manager. If drivers are available these are often stated to be generic in nature but will usually be full featured software as you had been using from the computer manufacturer.
      • Microsoft drivers are last resort with only required functionality, any options are hidden with a obscure (weird) interface, and sometimes not good enough for stable for daily operation.

The driver files dates are always odd sometimes being presented as being old files. Often Microsoft actually released the driver package not more than one month ago complete with Manufacturers up-to-date version number.

A logical reason for this weirdness is they are apparently rebuilt or repackaged for new versions of Windows 10. This driver may actually be the latest released version of the driver from Realtek for your networking chip.

PS: Windows update can present to you a driver for hardware your computer does not have inside it, probably nothing bad would happen after installation.

• #1859143 Reply

Philomene123
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for your answers.  Apparently, it’s now installed. No issue for now.  Is this driver about network?  I thought Realtek was about audio only. I use an adaptator, usb, d-link, because I have to use the 5 ghz band, 2,4 is awful where I am, too much interferences.

I have to check with the ethernet connection. I hope everything will be ok.

Thanks!

• #1859351 Reply

anonymous

You are welcome.

Is this driver about network?

Yes. I’m not sure what specifically the hardware target of that Windows driver was, you can see if the equipment is present in your computer with Device Manager in the Network Adapters section.

Realtek does design wireless, wired Ethernet, other controllers for networking equipment. So far Realtek has been very serious about after market support with drivers for their hardware.

All you need to know the chip’s model number, your operating system version and type to find any updated drivers.

I have to check with the ethernet connection. I hope everything will be ok

Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

• #1859344 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Realtek make lots of chips including network ones.
      It seems you don’t use the network connection so there is no need to update the driver.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: realtek update???

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.