News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• “Recent Replies”

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

It seems “recent replies ” is so repetitive concerning the topics and the list is sometimes very long with only two maybe 3 topics. Wondering if it would be possible to combine replies to same topic in order to shorten the scrolling necessary to peruse the replies – would be more convenient to be able to select the topics/replies of interest rather than going thru the list of the same subjects.

Just a thought…

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

My take on the repetitiveness that you observed is that a lot of the topics that had been proceeding vigorously, have abruptly come to a halt with the missing posts and the resultant loss of the flow in those discussions. If you were participating in a topic but now can’t see the posts from (say) Wednesday and Thursday, you won’t know if or what people might have replied to you so that you can reply to it.

People not wanting to invest time + effort in submitting new posts that could also disappear just as suddenly, could be another factor in the decreased variety of current active topics.

For now, I’d be wary of throwing further changes to the site into the mix.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Susan Bradley
          Manager

Nothing is going to disappear.

As to Drifty, I’m not sure what you are asking?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

DriftyDonN
            AskWoody Plus

I am envisioning something similar to the tree structure of file explorer where topics would be folders containing the recent replies rather than individual replies populating the list. As I mentioned, many times the recent replies list contains many replies to the same topic. I think it would provide one folder/directory for recent replies of each topic. Essentially a smaller more current list containing only the most recent replies.  Result would be a shorter list with perhaps more variety. Of course, it would be a very short listing if folks were only discussing two or three topics. It would also provide a way to peruse only recent replies rather than looking through ALL replies say from 6 months ago- some of PKanos topics have MANY replies. Not a complaint, just a thought to clean up the list.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

I have been thinking about this for quite some time so it has nothing to do with recent events.

Kirsty
        Manager

would be more convenient to be able to select the topics/replies of interest rather than going thru the list of the same subjects.

Could you not utilise the “Recently Active Topics”, in the Search for Topics widget for that?

DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

Yes of course but I think the result would defeat my thought- the search would likely return many replies. My idea is to combine replies to the same topic and placing the folders where the recent replies list is now, thus shortening the scroll. I am sorry if I am not making clear my suggestion. Case in point- my last 4 or 5 posts would take up 4 or 5 lines -my suggestion would take just one. My thought is not a criticism just an idea.

Edit- also, I am not thinking about finding a particular topic, just reading thru the list of recent replies for those of interest.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by DriftyDonN.
        DaveA
        AskWoody_MVP

I agree with DriffyDonN,

Once a thread id entered to the “Recent” list any other post in that thread, that comes along, it is NOT listed and/or is added in a closed listing within the first one that is there.

DaveA I am so far behind, I think I am First
        Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

1 user thanked author for this post.
        DaveA
        AskWoody_MVP

As I tried to explain above, I can see having the “Recent Topics” but not both Recent Replies and Recent Topics!

This makes for a lot extra page scrolling!

DaveA I am so far behind, I think I am First
        Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

I would prefer to have “Recent replies” in the form suggested by DriftyDon (if understood him correctly) with a list of links named after threads with comments on them posted in the last x hours, each connecting, in turn, to a list of replies on its thread.

So, if people have added comments to “Why is my screen all yellow with blue polka dots”? in the last x hours, and one is interested in that, then by clicking in a link of the same name in “Recent Replies” will switch to a page with a list of links to the recent comments on that thread. Much less to scan for the same result.

Unless one is interested in recent replies by someone in particular. In that case, there are some things one could do, but that is a discussion for another day.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: “Recent Replies”

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.