News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reconnect Win7 PC to Win10 (1803)?

Posted on maddaze Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Reconnect Win7 PC to Win10 (1803)?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyB 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

maddaze
      AskWoody Plus

I have PHP programs on a Win7 PC that I run against data files and databases on the Win7 PC and a Win10 (1803)  PC.  The two machines were connected via Homegroup.  I’ve attempted to reconnect the two machines without success by following various suggestions found via Google (on reliable sites).

Anyone solved the problem?

Harvey

• #345151 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Hmm in my experience Win7 + 8.1 to Win10 networking is seldom a problem, however Win10 to Win10 is another story.
      Try enabling the services on your Win10 Machine as per this link: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/win10-version-1809-buglog-including-troubling-tales-of-lost-user-data/#post-221676
      The rest of the post is about something related but slightly different, Function Publication Settings normally does the trick either on one machine or the other. I recommend starting on the Win10 Machine first before altering the Win7 Workhorse as over the years its proved the most reliable.
      You might want to look at disabling SMB1 on the Win7 Machine once you establish Net Connectivity for security purposes it gets disabled automatically on 1803 by default but it can be re-enabled in Control Panel-> Add and remove features but I wouldn’t advise it long term as its an old compromised protocol.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reconnect Win7 PC to Win10 (1803)?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.