• Recover Space from WD My Book Drive

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » PC hardware » PC hardware-General Questions » Recover Space from WD My Book Drive

Author
    Topic

The power supply for my WD My Book 3 TB external drive quit so I removed the drive to use it as an internal HD. I found two partitions shown in the attached screen shot. I am able to format and use the first partition but even when both are Unallocated, the second one cannot be added to the first or even formatted seperately. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

TIA

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

First try deleting both partitions and than create one new one.
      If that fails, install MiniTool Partition Wizard free and use that.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

I am able to format and use the first partition but even when both are Unallocated, the second one cannot be added to the first or even formatted seperately. Any suggestions on how to correct this? TIA

Microsoft’s disk manager is a very crude tool which I’ve found lacking in many respects. EaseUs Partition Manager came to mind when I read about your need. Around three years ago when I switched out a 500 GB SSD for a 2 TB SSD I used their Disk Copy Pro. I use a separate, licensed software of theirs for daily system images.

Also, compared to other support tech support these days they were (2 1/2 years ago) good at live remote support while I watched. And, these days, they also answer thoughtful questions about their software without hassles via e-mail.

Paul’s ideas about this are good if you’ve the patience or knowledge. I’ve used Mini Tool but wasn’t a fan of it because I don’t know much about partitioning, merging and formatting.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Recover Space from WD My Book Drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.