• Recovery Media Differences

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 22H2 » Recovery Media Differences

Author
    Topic

In a somewhat related post, with support for Macrium Free soon to be discontinued, I ended up buying Macrium’s one-time Home addition of its disk imaging software.  Finishing things up, I created replacement recovery media.  The old flash drive was built with the free version of the software, and the directions said it was best to create new.

I also went ahead and created Microsoft’s replacement media, which prompted this new post.  I created a Recovery Drive from the Control Panel Menu.  I also note a recovery option that’s available at start up rather than the normal Windows routine.  Then there’s the Microsoft download page where media can be generated.  That’s at least three different Microsoft methods for installing or repairing Windows.  My question is what’s the difference between them, and when should one be used versus one of the others.  Thanks as always.

Casey H.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

I created (Macrium) replacement recovery media (to USB).

Are you using the Macrium windows boot menu option under “Other Tasks”?  I find it very handy for easy access to the Macrium Recovery utility. It’s the same as what’s on the USB recovery media, but more convenient.

When the Macrium software is updated, I always (via “Other Tasks/Create Rescue Media”) update my USB sticks AND the Macrium windows boot menu WIM file. Updates for the Windows boot menu only appear when the Macrium software is updated.

I use Microsoft recovery media for Windows repair from and ISO, but do NOT use a Microsoft Recovery Drive.  In a pinch it would beat a Windows clean install, but Macrium has it covered everyday…

When I done using my machine for the day I make a Macrium backup (Full once a week then Incremental or Differential).  I quickly sync the daily image backup to 3 additional external drives for POM.

Custom desktop Asus TUF X299 Mark 1 16GB RAM i7-7820X
      Four 27" 1080p screens 2 over 2.
      Laptop Clevo/Sager i7-9750H - 17.3" Full HD 1080p 144Hz, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro 22H2

1 user thanked author for this post.

I indeed used the “other” tab to create my Macrium rescue flashdrive and to update the windows boot option.  All is well with both.  Either boots to the main Reflect MENU, and all my stored images are visible.

I have no experience with any of the Microsoft repair options.  All of my Windows woes have always been repared by restoring a system image.  My first attempts last week with the November updates went south, and I used Reflect to get me going again.  The second update attempt went normally.  So I’ve never used any Microsoft Recovery options.  My question remains, what kind of situation would warrant their use, and which method is best suited for a given situation.  Perhaps if the restored image is also faulty, then more drastic measures might be necessary.

Casey

My question remains, what kind of situation would warrant their use, and which method is best suited for a given situation.

IMHO, I don’t think there is a situation that would warrant their use.  To me, the MS recovery options in various iterations over the years served as a last resort option for everyday users that often don’t think about and plan for OS “what ifs”.  I personally don’t see it as suited in any capacity that a full featured imaging software like Macrium couldn’t do easier and better.

Perhaps if the restored image is also faulty

Never say never!  Could happen.  I keep rotating copies of Macrium image backups going back a couple of months so that, and a Windows “repair” install via ISO would be my worst case fall back.  Other AW users may shed some light on it.

Custom desktop Asus TUF X299 Mark 1 16GB RAM i7-7820X
          Four 27" 1080p screens 2 over 2.
          Laptop Clevo/Sager i7-9750H - 17.3" Full HD 1080p 144Hz, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro 22H2

If your backup image is broken and your disk is toast you are in real trouble. This is why you need to regularly check your disks (SMART) and test read your backups.
      Assuming you are in this situation, it’s make a Windows installation USB and install from scratch.

cheers, Paul

In this case, would the proper format be the download from Microsoft, or would a rescue flash drive created from Control Panel work equally well?  I’m still trying to figure out what the differences are between all the Microsoft options.

Casey

You need an ISO of whatever you want to boot and you then “burn” that to a USB drive of some sort.

As you already have a bootable Reflect USB you don’t need anything else, except maybe a copy of the ISO that was used to create it.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Recovery Media Differences

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: