News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Redirected to Cyrobo

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Redirected to Cyrobo

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Willy53
        AskWoody Plus

Every once in a while at initial boot up, instead of seeing my desktop, I find myself looking at the Cyrobo webpage.  Apparently they are a legit company, offering utility software.  I have never installed any of their products, and only looked at there website to try to figure out who they are.  I have searched my PC looking for any references to Cyrobo, including going into Admin Tools and searching the Task Scheduler, Services and doing a registry search.  No mention of Cyrobo.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this in the future?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Open Task Manager and look at the Startup tab.

anonymous

Nothing in there.  I do keep a pretty good eye on my startups and frequently disabling items I don’t want starting.

b
        AskWoody MVP

Is this web page displayed in your default web browser or a different one?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

anonymous

My default browser, Firefox.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          b
            cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

Check for any extensions that may have been added to Firefox without your knowledge.

anonymous

Thanks, but the extensions I see on all my browsers are just the ones I have added.

Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

In addition to checking your browser for any add-ons that you may not have installed yourself, I’d also go use an anti-crapware scanner such as the one from your anti-crapware suite, or even another one such as the scanner from Malwarebytes, for example. The behavior you describe sounds to me like you’ve gotten a PUP that has added a PUM to get you to view the webpage of Cyrobo. PUM=Potentially Unwanted Modification, PUP=Potentially Unwanted Program.

These things can be gotten from any site on the internet that’s been infected with a piece of crapware that installed these programs or modifications in some cases by simply visiting a completely above-board web site.

Many above-board sites have ads on them that come from other servers besides the servers that the website’s company owns. Those other servers are the ones that can frequently get infected with the stuff that then changes your system settings to automatically show a web page every so often or that installs a piece of crapware that hobbles your machine or worse.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bob99.
          anonymous

Thanks.  I do actively run Malwarebytes Pro.  It occasionally catches PUP’s, (usually it does not recognize something that I actually wanted).  I double checked the Malwarebytes history and saw nothing of interest.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

No mention of Cyrobo

Have you installed Cyrobo’s Clean Space application ?

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

ps check the list of cookies in FF

anonymous

Thanks.  I have never installed any of their applications.

Regarding cookies on Firefox, I regularly use CC Cleaner to check all the cookies on my PC.  I then delete anything that I am not familiar with.

Sueska
        AskWoody Plus

I use Malwarebytes Pro as well. I hesitate running a full scan because it takes a long time to run. I have been pleased using Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, a portable cleaner, as a supplemental tool which does not take as long to run. Malwarebytes Pro and Malwarebytes AdwCleaner detect similar malware, but according to Malwarebytes they utilize different detections methods. I discovered several unneeded programs (technically bloatware) running Malwarebytes AdwCleaner which was not picked up by my antivirus or Malwarebytes Pro. Just an idea.

anonymous

Thanks.  I just realized that I had downloaded that program well over a year ago, but have not run it in a long time.  I will get the latest version, and see what it finds.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Redirected to Cyrobo

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.