News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reformating a HDD using Disk Management

Posted on bumblebee Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Reformating a HDD using Disk Management

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        bumblebee
        AskWoody Plus

Can someone please explain to me how to reformat a disk using Disk Management so that there is only one partition on the drive? If you look at my screenshot, I want to reformat ‘Disk 2’ so that it looks just like ‘Disk 1’, as in it has just one partition for the whole drive. My D drive (disk 1) contains data only. Disk 2 will contain just data as well.

The disk I’m wanting to format was previously used as my ‘C’ drive and therefore had Windows 10 on it.

Disk-Mgmt-20200803-3-drives

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by bumblebee.
        Attachments:
      • #2286129 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Merge Partitions with Didk Management and then format the drive.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/combine-partitions-windows-10-free.html

Or use the free

MiniTool Partition Wizard.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2286162 Reply
        bumblebee
        AskWoody Plus

To my knowledge you can’t merge partitions in Disk Management. I will however take a look at the two programs you’ve recommended. Thanks.

• #2286196 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

To my knowledge you can’t merge partitions in Disk Management.

Agreed. But, you can delete several existing partitions, and then create a new one that uses all the contiguous space freed by deleting the old partitions.

So, yeah. More steps and the new partition will be empty – some of the more advanced tools might let you keep the contents in a “merge” at least in some situations.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286228 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Disk Management will let you delete all existing partitions and then create a new one. No need for 3rd party software.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286248 Reply
        bumblebee
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul T.

I stuck with Disk Management and didn’t need any 3rd party software. The recovery partition was a little more problematic to remove as Disk Management doesn’t allow you to do this. However, with an elevated command prompt I was able to override this.

The drive is now successfully reformatted. Thanks all.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reformating a HDD using Disk Management

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.