• refresh “uninstall an update” page after a Repair Install

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » refresh “uninstall an update” page after a Repair Install

Author
    Topic

I successfully ran a “Repair Install Windows OS” after posting this topic “Issue with 14 Nov 2023 Patches – WIN 10 PRO, x64″, options # 2602924 dated 15 Nov 2023. Susan’s post dated May 6, 2023 – Options #2556942 “Repair install of Windows 10 22H2” was extremely helpful.

The only issue I’ve seen so far is that before the Repair Install procedure, the “Uninstall an update” page matched the “View update history” page. After the Repair procedure, they do not match. (See Attached). I have (2) Feature updates, (50) Quality Updates, (1) Driver update and (47) other updates. But, the “Uninstall an update” page shows only (9) updates installed, and those are dated between 2020 and 05 May 2023

One internet source shows how to run a manual or automatic way to reset Windows Update Components. They say:
    (1) “How to Reset Windows Update Components Manually – from the command prompt with administrator privileges – This will also reset any pending installs and you will have to download all update files again.”
    (2) If that does not work, then Stop Windows Services”, delete the existing update files, re-register Windows Update files, reset sock, restart the previously stopped services
    (3) Automatic option: Auto-Reset the Windows Update Component using Troubleshoot

Another website shows how to Clear Windows Update History; but not how to refresh the update history, which is what I hope to accomplish

Is there a simple way to refresh the “Uninstall an Update” page to correctly show all installed updates?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

DISM++ is a very handy portable utility to keep around for things like this.
      Still works like a charm on W10 and 11.
      https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dism.html

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on..
      1 user thanked author for this post.

Is there a simple way to refresh the “Uninstall an Update” page to correctly show all installed updates?

No. It never does. Because many updates are not uninstallable.

I have 115 updates in Update History, but only 5 in Uninstall updates.

Remember updates are cumulative.  So once you install November, you can’t uninstall October as it’s superceded.

It’s not like Windows 7.

If you’d uninstall November, it would show October.  If you uninstalled October, it would show September, etc etc.

All security updates ARE uninstallable.  No servicing stack updates are uninstallable.

I disagree with B’s “many updates are not uninstallable”.  Most updates are uninstallable.  Few are not uninstallable.  They just don’t showcase like you may be used to in Windows 7 and XP where the listing was huge (and caused scanning issues back then when it would scan for supercedence)

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

I disagree with B’s “many updates are not uninstallable”.

What’s the total number of updates you have listed at Update history and how many of those are listed at Uninstall updates?

Remember updates are cumulative. So once you install November, you can’t uninstall October as it’s superceded.

Hi DKThompson:

I have a Win 10 Pro v22H2 OS that is fully patched to 14-Nov-2023. Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates lists a total of 35 updates dating back to January 2021,  and the majority are uninstallable Servicing Stack Updates (SSUs) that are bundled inside the monthly cumulative Quality Updates.

As Susan noted, older monthly cumulative updates are removed from that list as they are superseded (replaced) by newer updates every Patch Tuesday. My attached image shows every update with an Installed On date on or after January 1, 2023. To date I have only 4 updates installed in 2023 with KB numbers (i.e. excluding the SSUs) that have not been superseded and could be uninstalled.
          ————
          Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 * Firefox v119.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690

John at StackExchange said “If you start with an older version of Windows 10 and do a Repair Install, it takes you to the current version when you do the Repair Install.

So 20H2 -> 22H2 21H2 -> 22H2 and 22H2 -> 22H2

So in terms of updates, Windows is starting fresh. The whole system is new but your User Profile was saved and used.

So Windows cannot create an Update History page because it doesn’t really have a knowledge of where it came from (that is in Windows.old).

Accordingly, the direct answer to your question (Is there a simple way to refresh the “Uninstall an Update” page to correctly show all installed Feature, Cumulative, Security and Servicing stack updates?) is no, that cannot be done.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: refresh “uninstall an update” page after a Repair Install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: